How much money would you require to release a new Linux version?

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:34 am Post

Let me rephrase.

For the most part, I do not wish to offend people by accident. If they are to be offended, I would rather it be done knowingly, as then I have chosen the consequences.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

TB
TBUA
Platform: Windows

Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:57 am Post

I would really love a linux version as well. But I think the problem with them pursuing this goes way beyond just the factor of money.

All those aside I think it would take a dedicated team of more than 5 developers to get a rudimentary version running in about a year.

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:02 pm Post

devinganger wrote:Let me rephrase.

For the most part, I do not wish to offend people by accident. If they are to be offended, I would rather it be done knowingly, as then I have chosen the consequences.
And you did not MEAN offense. Which is why I tottered of to my corner, sniffed and pouted. Sometimes kids are better examples of properly mature behavior than we want to admit.

As to my monitization statement... look at what just happened to Red Hat.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

garpu
Platform: Linux

Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:42 pm Post

I think us geek types do tend to cause umbrage, at first. Then again, are the social geek fallacies a tautology? Are all geeks doomed to have rotten understanding of social cues? Speaking for myself, I tend to overcompensate, and then cause situations out of that. (Knowing I don't catch cues very well, especially in a text medium, and I tend to take people absolutely literally.)

I suspect Jaysen and Devinganger are doing what my SO and my brothers-in-law do when in meatspace together: loudly "argree." Or "to vociferously discuss a point so as to seem as though they're arguing about something they're all in agreement over."

ETA: yeah, the Red Hat acquisition does not fill me with confidence. Hopefully Slackware will weather the changes.
Slackware 64-bit 14.2, XFCE

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:36 am Post

I posted something on Twitter this morning to the effect that With the IBM purchase, Red Hat Linux has now become as irrelevant as Solaris. Debian won.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:32 pm Post

In linux I'm all deb all the time... unless someone is paying me to think red hat. Then I'm sad.

Honestly though, at my point in life I just avoid it all. I'll pay the tax for apple to avoid windows at home. I'm windows at work, and redhat on the servers. My real joy is AVR programming these days. no OS to even care about. Just have to know how to cross compile to the right arch with GCC out of eclipse. ;)
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09