How much money would you require to release a new Linux version?

kewms
Platform: Mac

Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:00 pm Post

garpu wrote:Am composer. Can confirm that landlords don't take "exposure," either.

Slightly off topic, my favorite observation along these lines is, "Exposure is what you die of when you can't pay your rent."

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:21 pm Post

garpu wrote:And is it time for OS pissing contest? Because they all pretty much suck. OS X sucks. Windows sucks. Linux sucks. Plan 9 sucks. BSD sucks. Amiga didn't suck too much, but it sucked, nonetheless. TI BASIC sucked, but you could run "Hunt the Wumpus" on it. They all suck in unique and special ways. Given enough time, any OS can be compromised. Given physical access, a screwdriver can do untold damage. So can a not-so-well-hidden postit note with a password. And let's not even get into how horribly unsecure humans are. Social engineering has been behind many a hack.

Or, as we used to say back in the Scary Devil Monastery:

"All hardware sucks. All software sucks. You find the flavor of suckage you can live with."
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

devinganger

Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:22 pm Post

kewms wrote:
garpu wrote:Am composer. Can confirm that landlords don't take "exposure," either.

Slightly off topic, my favorite observation along these lines is, "Exposure is what you die of when you can't pay your rent."

I once saw an epic takedown of those "do free work for us for exposure!" scams that started with "Exposure was how many societies disposed of those they didn't want" and went downhill from there.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG

garpu
Platform: Linux

Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:54 pm Post

kewms wrote:

Katherine

Pretty much.

devinganger wrote:Or, as we used to say back in the Scary Devil Monastery:

"All hardware sucks. All software sucks. You find the flavor of suckage you can live with."

Scary Devil Monastery? You used to work for the Order of the Ceniphus? (Please tell me I'm not the only one who listens to the Black Tapes Podcast.) And it's true. Linux has less suck in the things I find intolerable.

Now, you really want to hear me cuss? Give me a linux box with Pulseaudio. I'll cuss a blue streak in no time flat. (I dig jack.)
Slackware 64-bit 14.2, XFCE

devinganger

Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:02 pm Post

garpu wrote:
devinganger wrote:Or, as we used to say back in the Scary Devil Monastery:

Scary Devil Monastery? You used to work for the Order of the Ceniphus? (Please tell me I'm not the only one who listens to the Black Tapes Podcast.)

I don't listen to the Black Tapes. Don't have enough time to listen to podcasts. I read too fast; I get impatient. What I refer to can be more summarized as "down, not across."

garpu wrote:Now, you really want to hear me cuss? Give me a linux box with Pulseaudio. I'll cuss a blue streak in no time flat. (I dig jack.)

Unfortunately, I was a SysV boy -- grew up on Solaris 2.x Linux has put me totally off my feed in the last few years with the rush to systemd. P**terring is a blight on the Linux community, as is his software.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:36 pm Post

Dang it Devinganger, as much as I try to dislike you, you seem to be someone I would sit and have a couple beers with while we lamented the degradation of OS and hardware functionality "in the name of usability" simultaneously agreeing that the universe needs to end soon.

My problems with LInux really started when the focus moved from efficient kernels that you could extend to run X on to "windows replacement". It's gone downhill from there. It's just as bloated as OSX these days. And twice as dangerous as you now have a pile of folks who really don't understand the basics of security using it with no central "corporate overlord" forcing setting down their throat (and that overlord thing is MS, Apple, redhat in my opinion).

The final straw though was when i spent a 14hr day at work patching boxes only to come home and spend the entire night trying to get personal systems functional due to the same patch. OSX isn't better, it just takes less of my time to manage. I still do all of my "dev" work in a linux vm on the command line.

And on the solaris front, I just noticed my Solaris 2.6 cluster admin cert when going through a box of old office stuff. That makes me feel a bit ... old.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

garpu

Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:36 pm Post

Unfortunately, I was a SysV boy -- grew up on Solaris 2.x Linux has put me totally off my feed in the last few years with the rush to systemd. P**terring is a blight on the Linux community, as is his software.

Hah. I use Slackware. No argument from me. (Without pulse. I suspect in the next version of Slackware, I'll take the option to not even bother installing pulse.) I don't have a large opinion on systemd, beyond "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," and I don't see why they needed to completely change the sysV system. I figure by the time Slackware's forced to adopt something different, either something different (that doesn't make me cringe) will be adopted, or it'll be a minimal shift.

I can't say I'm a fan of adopting new things because they're new (thus, unproven), or of having to use a script (that you didn't write) to edit another script (that you also didn't write.) And binary logs? Yeah, that's going to be *really* awesome to deal with, if something blows up.

Needless to say, Poettering isn't on my Christmas card list.

Jaysen

Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:13 pm Post

Monitization of a platform require disabling easy access to information.

I leave it at that.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

devinganger

Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:01 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:Dang it Devinganger, as much as I try to dislike you

Wait, what???
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG

Jaysen

Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:38 pm Post

We may or may not have had a significant disagreement or two some time ago. I'm sure it was something trivial. I got over it even though we tend to be on opposite sides of many things.

I'm also willing to admit I one of the less mature adults one will meet on the forum :D
Jaysen

garpu

Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:35 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:Monitization of a platform require disabling easy access to information.

I leave it at that.

Looks like I need to do more research on systemd. And kick Pat Volkerding a few bucks, when I can.

devinganger

Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:52 am Post

Jaysen wrote:We may or may not have had a significant disagreement or two some time ago. I'm sure it was something trivial. I got over it even though we tend to be on opposite sides of many things.

I'm also willing to admit I one of the less mature adults one will meet on the forum :D

I am sorry to hear that. You're one of my favorite people to read here, in part because you don't pretend to a level of maturity you don't have (and thereby display a more true sense of maturity than most).
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG

Jaysen

Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:32 pm Post

D, don't read into the "dispute". I'm sure you simply said something at which I randomly chose to take offense, triggering my few remaining grey matter parts to go play in in their own corner muttering "that devin guy looked at me funny".

And thanks. I think I've finally gotten old enough (literally) where the effort to be someone other than my 8yr old self is just too much effort. Pretending to be someone, something, that I wasn't for too long may have actually stunted my real maturity (at least that's what i keep telling the boss lady). So I might as well tell fart jokes since I do find them funny.

:D
Jaysen

devinganger

Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:45 am Post

I will take you at your word, then, and trust you to let me know if the matter changes.

These days, I have learned to be content with the fact that I cannot please everyone, nor should I, and instead simply aim for trying to only offend people on purpose when it is required.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:58 am Post

I guess I have reached the next stage, being content if I can please myself. :D
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS