How much money would you require to release a new Linux version?

cp
cperfumo
Platform: Linux

Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:59 pm Post

Hi LAP,

I was wondering if L&L would be willing to release a new Linux version in exchange for a given amount of money. My assumption here is that you discontinued the Linux beta because it wasn't worth your time (which is only sensible).

So, here is my proposal: how about you name a price?

If it's something reasonable, I can try to get enough Linux users to pitch in :)

Cheers

kewms
Platform: Mac

Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:54 pm Post

What's the salary for a senior software developer these days?

I can't speak for L&L management, but if the issue is that the current staff is too busy with other projects, then the solution would be for the Linux effort to be able to support its own developer.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Li
ListeningGarden
Platform: Windows

Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:46 am Post

Would be very interested in seeing an official, native Linux client for Scrivener 3, especially since the QT framework is cross-platform. Not to downplay how much time would need to be invested to make it work well without issue across dozens of distros, but personally I have been interested in leaving Windows behind for some time and would vastly prefer native Linux builds of software rather than the unsupported fallback of running things in an ugly WINE container.

mj
mjbrennan
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:46 pm Post

+1 for a Linux version. I'd love to leave Windows & Mac behind and transition back to Ubuntu. Means I wouldn't have to upgrade my 4 yo laptop...

theswede
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:02 am Post

I would love a Linux version as well, but Wine is working very well right now. And with a nice Windows theme installed in Wine it looks very good. I use the Zune theme and it looks very nice and clean.

That said, a Linux version would be much nicer. But prioritize getting a stable 3.x out for Windows, by all means!

devinganger

Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:42 pm Post

From previous comments that have been made previously, my understanding is that since the Windows version is using the Qt framework (which is what any Linux/Android version would be based on) getting the Windows version in shape is a necessary pre-requisite for any future Linux/Android version.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

Ga
GameLaw

Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:22 pm Post

I'd pay a $100 dollars. No make that $200. Heck to avoid having to go back to the horror known as Windows, make that $300. Scrivener is my highest used productivity app. But Linux is my most productive and secure OS. I can not let this one app, no matter how much I use it, dictate that I go to the monopoly of Apple or the Insecurity known as Windows. I don't even need any newer features than the 1.9 we're using now, just file save compatibility with the Windows 2.x version.

I wish the Wine users would stop reminding us of their tolerance of Wine. Wine is finicky and unstable, making even the best behaved Windows apps unstable.

This shouldn't even be a discussion about money or break-even. Running on 3 OS platforms instead of just 2 is priceless marketing value.

krastev

Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:58 pm Post

GameLaw wrote:I'd pay a $100 dollars. No make that $200. Heck to avoid having to go back to the horror known as Windows, make that $300.

Given that a senior developer salary is 80-130 thousand a year, your $300 will be enough for half a day of work. Which is enough to setup your dev environment, but that's it. :mrgreen:

But Linux is my most productive

No, it's not. If it was, most of the people would use it, instead of Windows or macOS. And the percentage of Linux as a desktop is what, 2%? :lol:

and secure OS.
No, it isn't. Most of the biggest britches and thefts of info, that had happen lately, is in fact, from Linux machines.
And then we had Spectre and Meltdown... needless to say more. :twisted:
Krastev
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.9.0
Windows 7 & Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Testing Scrivener Beta for Windows

kewms
Platform: Mac

Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:40 pm Post

GameLaw wrote:This shouldn't even be a discussion about money or break-even. Running on 3 OS platforms instead of just 2 is priceless marketing value.

Sadly, mortgage companies are remarkably unwilling to accept "marketing value" as legal tender.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:20 pm Post

GameLaw wrote:This shouldn't even be a discussion about money or break-even. Running on 3 OS platforms instead of just 2 is priceless marketing value.

First, Scrivener already runs on 3 OS platforms.

Second, L&L has formally stated "we currently have no capacity or plans to release another Linux version", so if you are seriously trying to persuade them to change their minds, perhaps you'd do better to actually make a business case. You know, a proposal with things like quantities and costs and pricing, stuff like that. Sorry, but the market of writers who want Scrivener and who also happen to be hardcore Linux aficionados doesn't sound huge to me.You'd need 2,000+ people willing to shell out $45 each just to fund a developer for a year or so. Start a crowdfunding campaign and raise the cash for the developer, to show there's real interest out there, besides a dozen or two of you. Just some ideas, if you're serious.

devinganger

Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:31 am Post

krastev wrote:And then we had Spectre and Meltdown... needless to say more. :twisted:

If you're going to play the OS religious flamewar game, at least stick to facts. Spectre and Meltdown are processor-level issues, not OS-level, and have pretty well screwed everybody on Intel architecture for years to come.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG

devinganger

Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:37 am Post

JimRac wrote:Start a crowdfunding campaign and raise the cash for the developer, to show there's real interest out there, besides a dozen or two of you. Just some ideas, if you're serious.

It is NOT a good idea to start a crowdfunding campaign to fund product X for a company without that company having bought into the campaign. In fact, depending on the juridiction where the company is, they may not be able to accept any of that money. These kind of crowdfunding campaigns rarely end well.

Now, getting a petition together to quantify a level of interest so *L&L* could kick off a crowdfunding campaign (complete with people who are experienced in planning and running such campaigns and are willing to negotiate with L&L to do so) MIGHT be something one could do that would actually be useful. Again, though, such petitions are not commitments to actually purchase the product and while they might decrease the risk involved, will not totally mitigate it. Don't forget, it's not like L&L has never tried to work with the Linux market before. They did. That product is dead, and while they stated some reasons for it, I'm sure we didn't see everything that went into that decision.

At the end of the day, it's L&L's decision, and most people I have seen don't like feeling like they are having their hands forced. As Neil Gaiman said, "George R. R. Martin is not your bitch."
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG

krastev

Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:48 am Post

devinganger wrote:
krastev wrote:And then we had Spectre and Meltdown... needless to say more. :twisted:

If you're going to play the OS religious flamewar game, at least stick to facts. Spectre and Meltdown are processor-level issues, not OS-level, and have pretty well screwed everybody on Intel architecture for years to come.

I'm completely aware of the fact, but I'm also aware that it affects Linux as well, which makes Linux not so secure after all.
Krastev
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.9.0
Windows 7 & Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Testing Scrivener Beta for Windows

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:42 am Post

devinganger wrote:
JimRac wrote:Start a crowdfunding campaign and raise the cash for the developer, to show there's real interest out there, besides a dozen or two of you. Just some ideas, if you're serious.

It is NOT a good idea to start a crowdfunding campaign to fund product X for a company without that company having bought into the campaign.

Of course I agree with you. Tongue solidly in cheek with my suggestion, not that I expected anyone to take any action that involved more work than submitting a post to this message board.

devinganger wrote:As Neil Gaiman said, "George R. R. Martin is not your bitch."

Yeah, I do love that quote. :mrgreen:

garpu

Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:57 pm Post

kewms wrote:

Sadly, mortgage companies are remarkably unwilling to accept "marketing value" as legal tender.

Katherine

Am composer. Can confirm that landlords don't take "exposure," either.

And is it time for OS pissing contest? Because they all pretty much suck. OS X sucks. Windows sucks. Linux sucks. Plan 9 sucks. BSD sucks. Amiga didn't suck too much, but it sucked, nonetheless. TI BASIC sucked, but you could run "Hunt the Wumpus" on it. They all suck in unique and special ways. Given enough time, any OS can be compromised. Given physical access, a screwdriver can do untold damage. So can a not-so-well-hidden postit note with a password. And let's not even get into how horribly unsecure humans are. Social engineering has been behind many a hack.

The most perfectly hardened OS is only as secure as the human using it. (Or, rather, the humans who have access.)
Slackware 64-bit 14.2, XFCE