Ignorant Person Asking about Synching and Dropbox Stuff

Fr
FrederickWoodruff
Platform: Mac

Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:29 pm Post

I'm a little overwhelmed with what I need to do regarding using Scrivener between all of my computers and devices, namely:

iMac, MacBook Air, iPad and iPhone

I wrote my first novel on Google Docs because I could be anywhere in the world and on any machine and was able to write freely with the document always updated in real time.

Now I want to do the same with Scrivener.

I understand that I can install the app on my Mac computers at home without an issue, but what is the best way to do this. I have downloaded it to my iMac, should I do the same download onto my MacBook Air? Or bring it over to the laptop with a thumb drive and install it that way? Do I use the same registration code to register it?

And then what about my iPhone and iPad. Do I have to purchase the app for those devices separately? And do I need to purchase one for iPad and one for iPhone? That gets expensive. Or is there a discount for people who own the desktop app?

And then what about synching to Dropbox folder. Presently I have set up a folder for my manuscript in DB and then also inside that folder a folder for back-ups. Is that the best way to do that?

And then finally will the app for iPhone, say, just automatically log into that same DropBox folder, so when I do any writing it will make changes in the same file I am accessing from desktop computer?

Sorry for so many questions in one post, but I want to get this right? :wink:

sc
scshrugged
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:34 pm Post

FrederickWoodruff wrote:I'm a little overwhelmed with what I need to do regarding using Scrivener between all of my computers and devices, namely:

iMac, MacBook Air, iPad and iPhone

I wrote my first novel on Google Docs because I could be anywhere in the world and on any machine and was able to write freely with the document always updated in real time.

Now I want to do the same with Scrivener.

I understand that I can install the app on my Mac computers at home without an issue, but what is the best way to do this. I have downloaded it to my iMac, should I do the same download onto my MacBook Air? Or bring it over to the laptop with a thumb drive and install it that way? Do I use the same registration code to register it?

You can use the same download, or not. Use the same registration code.

FrederickWoodruff wrote:And then what about my iPhone and iPad. Do I have to purchase the app for those devices separately? And do I need to purchase one for iPad and one for iPhone? That gets expensive. Or is there a discount for people who own the desktop app?

iOS Scrivener is a separate purchase and there’s no discount. One license can be used for multiple iDevices.

FrederickWoodruff wrote:And then what about synching to Dropbox folder. Presently I have set up a folder for my manuscript in DB and then also inside that folder a folder for back-ups. Is that the best way to do that?

Live projects and backups should be located in different directories. Explanation here:
https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb ... tion-error
Beyond that, it's not a good practice to put all your eggs in one basket. The way you're currently doing things wouldn't be helpful if DB had a major failure or was significantly unavailable.

FrederickWoodruff wrote:And then finally will the app for iPhone, say, just automatically log into that same DropBox folder, so when I do any writing it will make changes in the same file I am accessing from desktop computer?

Sorry for so many questions in one post, but I want to get this right? :wink:

Syncing instructions here:
https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb ... g-with-ios

Rather than DB, you can use iTunes or other file manager (including with other cloud services) to transfer between macOS and iOS.
Scrivener user not affiliated with L&L.

Fr
FrederickWoodruff
Platform: Mac

Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:54 pm Post

Thank you very much for this information. So helpful. :D

sc
scshrugged
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:34 pm Post

You're welcome. :)

In case you don't know––both Apps have must-do, very helpful tutorials.

Happy reading and writing.
Scrivener user not affiliated with L&L.