Binder Navigation Not Working

Ko
Kojaxe
Platform: Mac

Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:50 am Post

Hi,

I am currently trialling Scrivener and I like it a lot.

There is a problem that could stop me from buying it and making it my default writing tool and it has now happened twice. In two projects, navigation via the binder is no longer working. The folders opens and shut, you can move text documents about in the binder, etc, but clicking on a text document no longer takes you there.

It is possible to navigate to a text document using the navigation arrows and Navigate/Go To in the menu bar, and the project works fine on iOS.

I don't think I was doing anything particularly strange the problem happened, just writing and pasting text from Word.

When I open other projects, they work as normal.

Mark

Jo
JoRo

Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:25 am Post

Hello, Mark.

It might be that you inadvertently locked the editor in place (CMD OPT L or Navigate > Editor > Lock In Place [the editor's header bar, if shown, should change colour]).

If the editor is locked, the text file shown in the editor will not change when items are selected in the binder.

The editor will change / automatically unlock if you use the Navigate > Go To menu when viewing single files.

Best.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:05 pm Post

It may also be you’ve changed how the binder targets the editors (pay note to which headers are marked in blue, or if any are indeed marked), in the Navigate ▸ Binder Selection Affects ▸  submenu, or tried out one of the built-in Layouts, some of which will change that setting and others.

A good command to make note of is the one at the bottom of that menu: “Clear All Navigation Options”. If you ever find Scrivener working oddly with regards to stuff loading automatically (or not), that’ll reset the conditions to the basics. The Window ▸ Layouts ▸ Default can also help—but that will change a good deal more than just the navigation settings.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Ko
Kojaxe

Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:18 pm Post

Thanks for your help.

The problem was indeed that I had locked the editor in place.

A few quick key clicks, and everything was back to behaving how I wanted.

Jo
JoRo

Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:29 pm Post

Good news.

Best.