double-clicking in corkboard view

ad
adlister
Platform: Mac

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:31 am Post

In the corkboard, I would have thought that double-clicking a stack of index cards would open that stack in the corkboard. Instead, it opens editing of the synopsis of the top card. To move from a higher-level corkboard (e.g. the one for "Draft") to the corkboard for a sub-document, it seems I have to click on the sub-document in the Binder, then click on the corkboard icon on the toolbar up top. There doesn't seem to be a one-step way to do this with the contextual menu. I did find the option in Preferences whereby double-clicking the corkboard background opens the parent corkboard. What I'm looking for is the reverse, I guess. Does that exist, or is there a simpler method? Essentially I want to facilitate moving up and down hierarchies of index cards in corkboard mode - not having to find a particular index card in the binder, click it there, then click the corkboard icon. I'd like to deal only with the corkboard, moving up and down hierarchies as I would if the cards were on the desk in front of me. (Except that if the cards were on the desk in front of me they'd be a mess).

(New user; first time posting, so I may be doing things wrong)

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:09 pm Post

Yes, what you’re looking to do is possible—it’s quite easy in fact to live without the binder entirely (in some projects I leave it closed 99% of the time). There are a few different ways of opening a card from the corkboard into the same editor:

• Double-click the icon in the card.
  • Hit the spacebar (by default; that can be changed in Behaviors: Navigation).
  • The standard command to open in the current editor: Navigate ▸ Open ▸ in X Editor or ⌥⌘O.
  • Drag the card into the editor’s header bar.

As for navigating up, you found an option to make that possible with double-click on the background. I prefer making a habit out of the Navigate ▸ Go To ▸ Enclosing Group shortcut: ⌃⌘R. I prefer that because it also works in Outliner and Scrivenings view modes as well.

P.S. Welcome to the boards! :)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

ad
adlister

Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:27 pm Post

Thanks for your response, Amber. The "go to enclosing group" option is grayed-out, for me. Is that because I'm nesting documents, not using folders?

About opening cards, I now see that I can either double-click to card to edit its synopsis in place, staying in the corkboard view, or I can double-click its icon to edit the card's text in the editor, as you explained. But what can I click to move down to the sub-documents while staying in corkboard view? It seems that to move down, I have to go back to the binder, then click to return to corkboard mode. Clicking on an item in the binder puts me into editor mode, so I have to click on the corkboard icon to get back to the index card view. Is that right?

AmberV wrote:Yes, what you’re looking to do is possible—it’s quite easy in fact to live without the binder entirely (in some projects I leave it closed 99% of the time). There are a few different ways of opening a card from the corkboard into the same editor:

• Double-click the icon in the card.
  • Hit the spacebar (by default; that can be changed in Behaviors: Navigation).
  • The standard command to open in the current editor: Navigate ▸ Open ▸ in X Editor or ⌥⌘O.
  • Drag the card into the editor’s header bar.

As for navigating up, you found an option to make that possible with double-click on the background. I prefer making a habit out of the Navigate ▸ Go To ▸ Enclosing Group shortcut: ⌃⌘R. I prefer that because it also works in Outliner and Scrivenings view modes as well.

P.S. Welcome to the boards! :)

AmberV

Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:13 pm Post

Ah, you might prefer the Behaviors: Folders & Files setting, Treat all documents with subdocuments as folders. I use that setting as well, as I want all groups of items to display as groups. By default Scrivener assumes that if you nest files within files that you still want to view the text of the containing card by default—i.e. to not treat it as a group in the editor.

Clicking on an item in the binder puts me into editor mode, so I have to click on the corkboard icon to get back to the index card view. Is that right?

But to be clear, even if you find yourself in that scenario the ⌃⌘R shortcut I mentioned should still take you back up to the containing group.

As for why that command might be greyed out: if what you are viewing has no enclosing group then it won’t be a valid command. For example if you are viewing the Draft corkboard, there is nothing higher from which you could view the Draft folder as a card. Other conditions include multiple selections: if you Cmd-click on two different files to view them both as a corkboard, you’ll see “Multiple Selection” in the header bar. That doen’t really exist anywhere, and so you can’t navigate up from it.

By the way, also note the editor has a browser-like history as well. Unlike hierarchical navigation it simply tracks where you’ve been before. Click the Back and Forward buttons, or use ⌘[ and ⌘] like in a browser. Sometimes that can be more convenient—sometimes it is necessary, such as when navigating from a multiple selection.
Ioa Petra'ka

ad
adlister

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:43 pm Post

AmberV wrote:Ah, you might prefer the Behaviors: Folders & Files setting, Treat all documents with subdocuments as folders.

That's it! Thank you. Now double-clicking icon in index card drills down a level, while double-clicking the background heads back up (the latter behaviour due to the option under "Behaviors: Double-clicking: Opens the Parent Corkboard"). Perfect

The keyboard shortcut to go back up in the hierarchy is greyed-out when I have selected something in the Binder; the command is available when I have highlighted a card in the corkboard.

AmberV

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:58 pm Post

The keyboard shortcut to go back up in the hierarchy is greyed-out when I have selected something in the Binder; the command is available when I have highlighted a card in the corkboard.

That’s because the command targets the active area of the project window. That might seem a meaningless distinction with only one editor view open, but if you have split the project window into two editors, then it should make more sense as you probably only want to navigate up from one editor and not the other. So with the binder active, there is no “up” from that.

The one exception to that is the inspector, which is tied to what you are doing in the editor. Navigation commands can thus be used even while typing in the inspector.
Ioa Petra'ka