Scrivener as a project tool for non-writing projects: version 2 is good enough, version 3 is overkill

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:55 pm Post

It has already been 200 days, hasn’t it! I haven’t forgotten nor lost interest in it, but it did get a bit waylaid by this or that. Thanks for the prompt though, it’s easier to get back to something when you know others haven’t forgotten. :)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

ik
iknewiwassmart
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:37 pm Post

Hi Amber V, Thank you for your detailed responses and useful content! I write to you a while ago asking about documenting your FSIM workflow and codes. anyway, I would love to get any templates you are wiling to share for anything!!

I learn best by example and image. the instructions are helpful, but I get lost in the words when they are about aspects of technology I am unfamiliar with.

To that end, I am asking if you have an updated file of the Scrivener User Manual Project, or at least one with Scriv3. That was sooooo helpful in terms of finding content (since PDFs don't often have an index) l and a great template for making my own mini-manuals. I guess another option would be any way of converting the PDF into a scriv project, but that seems unlikely.

I have some significant help needs for getting over 1000 pages of my writing project from 2.9 to Scriv 3.

I read the upgrade guide and did the tutorial, in fact I added screenshots to almost every step, but the permutations of my specific situation does not match much on the forum. I need help, mostly because I did not use the Draft folder in 2.9 because of the limitations of the application at the time.

May I send my file to you and get some advice? It was already a challenge because I was trying to work around the 2.9 limitations. So, now the Scriv 3 import is making it harder to straighten up what I already needed to straighten out.

Unlike some, I RELY heavily on all the GUI features you have worked so hard to implement.

As a bit of reciprocity and to show appreciation for your time, I would like to offer you the Scrivener Tutorial and Upgrade guides I adapted so you can use the screenshots, if you would like. The image sizes are large, as I haven't figured out how to limit the size and set the dpI, etc. (it was on my ToLearn list), but I am sure it would be a breeze for you.

My opinion: it's not overkill. It's better to have the option and not use it than to need it and not be able to get it in cases like this.

Thank you.

lo
lolajl
Platform: Mac

Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:27 pm Post

AmberV wrote:It has already been 200 days, hasn’t it! I haven’t forgotten nor lost interest in it, but it did get a bit waylaid by this or that. Thanks for the prompt though, it’s easier to get back to something when you know others haven’t forgotten. :)

Did you ever get the template finished?