Synchronizing Scrivener 3 with dropbox

Al
Altazor

Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:38 pm Post

I can't do it! I keep getting "synchronization problem" in the Ipad. I closed 3 on my Imac just to make sure there were no probs. Also, when I reopened the project I was working in, a message appeared on Scrivener 3 saying that I should save the backup in another directory. I did, but it seems I am working with the backup, so maybe that's the prob? Should I just save the project in the original directory?
Cheers

kewms
Platform: Mac

Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:06 pm Post

The project needs to be in whatever directory you've designated on the iPad in order for the iPad to find it. By default, that will be Dropbox/Apps/Scrivener.

If synchronization used to work correctly and suddenly quit, try unlinking and relinking the iPad from Dropbox. Tap the Edit button on the iPad's project screen, then the gear icon down at the bottom. The recent updates to iOS and the Dropbox software have caused confusion in a number of cases.

There's a troubleshooting guide for iOS synchronization here:
https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb ... os-syncing

And a thorough setup guide here:
https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb ... g-with-ios

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Al
Altazor

Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:12 pm Post

kewms wrote:The project needs to be in whatever directory you've designated on the iPad in order for the iPad to find it. By default, that will be Dropbox/Apps/Scrivener.

If synchronization used to work correctly and suddenly quit, try unlinking and relinking the iPad from Dropbox. Tap the Edit button on the iPad's project screen, then the gear icon down at the bottom. The recent updates to iOS and the Dropbox software have caused confusion in a number of cases.

There's a troubleshooting guide for iOS synchronization here:
https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb ... os-syncing

And a thorough setup guide here:
https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb ... g-with-ios

Katherine

Thanks a bunch! Will try it now.

rasnell

Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:31 pm Post

I followed all of the steps and it did not work.

Nothing changed except my upgrade to Scriv 3. All backups still point to the correct Dropbox/apps/scrivener folder on both the Mac and IOS iPad.

When that was not working by default, I did the steps of unlinking and relinking dropbox. For some reason, it found 6,500 files to synch but none were those created in Scrivener 3.

Any ideas?
Love, Grandpa, my memoir as reporter, Mormon bishop, and a near-death patient will be published in late 2017. My first book was Root for the Cubs: Charlie Root and the 1929 Chicago Cubs. Details at http://www.rogersnell.com

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:42 pm Post

rasnell wrote:I All backups still point to the correct Dropbox/apps/scrivener folder on both the Mac and IOS iPad.

Backups should not be pointed to the sync folder. They should be pointed somewhere else completely. Preferably not even on Dropbox, because if your Dropbox account becomes corrupted, all your Scrivener projects and your backups will be corrupted.
In the sync folder you should only have the Scrivener projects you are actively working on and need to have available on the iPad.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

kewms

Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:43 pm Post

What "did not work?"

You want the live projects, not the backups, to be in the folder synced with iOS. Not only do you *not* want iOS Scrivener to be editing your backup files, but it can't read ZIPped files anyway.

Did you review the troubleshooting guide linked earlier in the thread?

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

jo
josephavellino

Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:58 pm Post

I know where to set the Dropbox Sync folder in iOS (Dropbox Settings). But where do I set that in the Mac version of Scrivener? (I have my Backup folder set in the Backup settings for Scrivener on my Mac, but I am not able to find where I set my sync folder for Dropbox on my Mac version of Scrivener.) Thanks in advance!

Silverdragon

Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:20 pm Post

On the Mac, you don't "set a sync folder."
  • If you haven't already, install the Dropbox app onto your Mac and let it put all the files in your Dropbox into your Dropbox folder on your Mac.
  • Quit Scrivener
  • MOVE YOUR PROJECT to the folder inside your Mac Dropbox folder that you've told iOS Scrivener to sync to
  • double click the moved project to start it in Scrivener again.
So you know where I'm coming from:
  • I'm a user, not an L&L employee.
  • Mac Scrivener 3.0.2, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.12.6 (Sierra)
  • IOS Scrivener 1.1.5, iPhone 6s, iPad Air 2, iOS 11.4

jo
josephavellino

Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:25 pm Post

Got it ... in iOS, I explicitly define a sync folder. In OSX, I implicitly define the Dropbox sync folder based on the action you described. Thank you.

Silverdragon

Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:29 pm Post

You're welcome!
So you know where I'm coming from:
  • I'm a user, not an L&L employee.
  • Mac Scrivener 3.0.2, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.12.6 (Sierra)
  • IOS Scrivener 1.1.5, iPhone 6s, iPad Air 2, iOS 11.4