Scrivener 1.9.6 for Windows is now available. This is mainly a bug-fix update to address some issues that arose with the 1.9.5 release; it also includes a few additional refinements. It is a free update for all registered users of Scrivener for Windows, and we recommend that you update from 1.9.5.
- We are currently investigating reports of Scrivener 1.9.5 failing to run on some systems; 1.9.6 does not resolve this issue. If you are experiencing this problem and are willing to provide system information to help us resolve the issue, please contact windows.support AT literatureandlatte DOT com.
- Scrivener allows Windows to scale its display on high resolution monitors, which may cause it to appear blurry. You can disable the display scaling by right-clicking the Scrivener.exe or its desktop shortcut, choosing Properties > Compatibility, and selecting "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings".
Updates and fixes in 1.9.6:
- Added basic bold and italic MultiMarkdown conversion options in the editor (Format > Convert > Bold and Italics to MultiMarkdown Syntax) and in compile Transformation settings.
- Improved the project replacements to allow using carriage returns (Ctrl+Enter), tabs (Ctrl+Tab), and line breaks (Shift+Enter).
- Added a "Move to Selection" context menu option to inspector comments and footnotes to reassign linked notes to selected document text.
- Refined the list behaviour so that ending a list resets the following paragraph to the default editor formatting rather than retaining the list indentation.
- Fixed a bug whereby older projects updated to the new file format might be converted such that they worked in Scrivener for Windows but remained incompatible with the iOS version.
- Fixed a bug whereby label and status were not included in project search.
- Fixed a bug whereby certain fonts (those without available PostScript names) were removed from documents, causing the text to switch to unusual fallback fonts. This fix ensures the fonts are no longer removed; text that has already been converted will need to be reset to its proper font.
Note to Helvetica Users: If you experienced this bug when using "Helvetica", it means the font is not installed, and Windows was previously substituting Arial. "Helvetica" text will now be named correctly as "Arial". We recommend checking that Helvetica is not set as a default font in the Editor or Appearance sections of Tools > Options.
- Fixed a bug whereby e-book font sizes did not compile correctly if the main body size was not 12pt.
- Fixed a bug, introduced by the Qt framework update, causing multi-column menus to display incorrectly with missing text.
- Fixed a bug preventing text replacements in compile.
- Fixed a bug in word and character count calculations that slowed the first save after opening a project.
- Fixed a bug whereby paragraph indentation was included when pasting text into inspector comments and footnotes.
- Updated the Spanish and Catalan translations.
Updating to 1.9.6
To download Scrivener 1.9.6, either:
- Select "Check for Updates" from the "Help" menu within Scrivener itself and follow the on-screen instructions;
- Go to http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener.php?platform=win and click on "Download for Windows" to download and re-install Scrivener.
If you have already seen the update notification and followed the on-screen instructions to update, you don't need to do anything else.
Thanks, and happy writing!