Linux 1.9.01 Beta Released

Al
Alexo
Platform: Linux

Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:39 pm Post

hwm wrote:@Alexo:
Well, your contribution is a day on the board, so the admins should have seen it and had the chance to react...
Maybe your deb-file is a fine solution for Linux, for shure it looks interessing. But - it must be possible to try out. I cant't download it "normal" from 4share and I won't give them my eMail-adress, direct or indirect. Is it possible for you to give another location for download?
HWM

I will try to find a better hosting option and get back here.
Any suggestion?

EDITs:

Code: Select all

1 - I uploaded the file to GDrive, with a direct download link now. It might turn things easy. :-)
2 - Updated DEB archive. The link to download is ahead, in other post.
Last edited by Alexo on Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

hw
hwm
Platform: Windows

Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:44 am Post

@Alexo
Thank you very much for enabling the download. The deb installed fine and some work could be done (with no data lost), but it crashed after a short time.

Xubuntu 18.10:
The interresting lines in the errormessage are
- /opt/scrivener/bin/Scrivener:6:/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc-2.28.so+535:/.../libScrCompiler.so.1.0.0+e6e36
- UnreportableReason
and then - translated:
- This is no official Ubuntu packet. Please remove it.

But, keep up the good work :-) . No, just kidding - it looks fine and to put it in /opt is just right.

HWM

Al
Alexo

Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:47 pm Post

hwm wrote:(...) but it crashed after a short time.

Xubuntu 18.10:
The interresting lines in the errormessage are
- /opt/scrivener/bin/Scrivener:6:/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc-2.28.so+535:/.../libScrCompiler.so.1.0.0+e6e36

Had it really crashing? I use it on Debian 9 (backported) and at an old Mint installation (at least 1 year without updates I guess) with no problems. Did not tested in Ubuntu directly. I tested extensively before post here, but maybe a test in a VM would be cool to prevent crashes in another distros.

@hwm, may you open it via terminal and send me the output in pvt?

hw
hwm
Platform: Windows

Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:07 pm Post

@Alexo:
Sorry, I deinstalled and deleted the .deb-file directly after the event. Please, no extended beta-testing for me...
HWM

sn
sninkychan
Platform: Linux + Windows

Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:05 pm Post

@Alexo: I'll try this on my Ubuntu 18.10 machine soon and report back! Thanks for your efforts.

Al
Alexo

Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:06 am Post

@sninkychan, thank you.
It must work into any updated distro (Debian 9 based and newer ones), but the installation would be problematic in old distros (Debian 8 and before) due to dependencies includes, so please be careful.

For any distro based on Debian 8 and before, I think the LL's package is ok.

So, as I intend to continue using it, later on I will fix it to match Debian packaging rules more closely.

EDIT:

1 - The DEB archive is updated to comply with some distros and to be installed in any release. The link to download is ahead, in other post.
Last edited by Alexo on Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

qa
qantens
Platform: Linux + Windows

Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:44 pm Post

I love Scrivener, and I'm so thankful for it. I am a Linux user (twelve years so far). But I bought a licence for Scrivener for Windows. Now I see this thread and the software for Linux. This is awesome!

But I have questions.

I have been running Scrivener for Windows (1.9.8.0) in a Windows virtual machine (Oracle Virtualbox) on my Linux machine. This has worked quite well, but (late as usual) I now see that you kindly did a Linux version of Scrivener, and I installed it. It's beautiful and opens my Scrivener files just as the Windows version (in the virtual machine) does. But it's so much nicer and quicker to use this Linux version.

And my questions are: everything seems to work fine in terms of saving files and opening them in either version, so I'm guessing that the formats are the same. Am I right? Can I keep using the Linux version without fear that my files will not be accessible in the Windows version?

Many thanks again for your simply excellent work!

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:24 pm Post

If I recall correctly, the last Linux version released is quite a bit older than the current Windows version, and pre-dates features such as the format changes necessary for syncing to iOS Scrivener. If you're going to use it cross-platform, you're probably better off using WINE to run the current Scrivener for Windows version in your Linux environment.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

Al
Alexo

Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:24 pm Post

Hi there!

I reviewed my last attempt to make a DEB archive for the now old Scrivener for linux, and I guess am achieved the goal.

NOTE: The intention of this packing is to keep alive the linux version
of this awesome software, with fixes and adjustments on the last
original released versions of its DEB packages, into an updated package
(as much as possible) adapted to distribution's releases after Debian 8
(Jessie).
Alex.. - <lex@teknik.io>

Download: <DEB archive and dependencies v1.9.0.1-2a - amd64>

Please read the README file inside the download folder.

The package was prepared to work in Debian based distros and to avoid breakage of packages, the dependencies and additions are archived apart.

Tested:

Debian 8 (Jessie) w/ Gnome
Debian 9 (Stretch) w/ Mate and Cinnamon
MX 17 w/ Xfce
LMDE2 Mate
LMDE3
Mint 19 Cinnamon
Xubuntu 18.4
Ubuntu 18.4

Obs.: In any distro based in Debian 9 and above, video play inside Scrivener may be restricted.

If need any correction, please make me know. Any comment will be very appreciated.

That's it!
Salutes,
Alex..

EDIT: Tested distros.