scrivener and citation

ha
hanshenden
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:15 pm Post

hi there.
I use to windows, mac os x and gnu/linux version of the scrivener. but as you know, gnu/linux version of endnote does not exist. which program do you recommend instead of endnote on gnu/linux?
Last edited by hanshenden on Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ha
hanshenden
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:47 am Post

any answer?

ve
vehka
Platform: Linux

Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:58 am Post

In my opinion, Zotero is by far the best citation manager. There's also a Linux version. I've been using it for years, but I haven't tried it with Scrivener yet. However, some people have reported success using them together. Try Googling Zotero and Scrivener for more help.

ch
chi
Platform: Mac

Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:55 pm Post

I'm trying to decide between Papers or Zotero as the citation companion for Scrivener. I'm looking for recommendations with respect to better compatibility and ease of use....want to avoid spending too much time fussing around with the software! Thanks!

garpu

Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:27 am Post

I always did my bibliographies and such by hand. The programs I tried never worked the way I wanted. (And I speak as one who did complete and defend a dissertation.)
Slackware 64-bit 14.2, XFCE

kr
kraml
Platform: Linux + Windows

Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:26 pm Post

@chi:

You can do it with MLZ Zotero [not vanilla Zotero] in Firefox [not standalone] and Scrivener. Do a little research at the zotero forum and citationstylist.org. It will work. I am willing to try to help you fine tune it on the condition that you play with it a little first. You must be prepared to clean up the output, but it's a fair tradeoff for managing a thousand or more discrete citations in a 300 page document. I have a fixed routine (at the chapter level) for exporting to LibreOffice and cleaning up stuff for term paper / dissertation format. I won't be any help for other formats, or other word processors. The folks at the Zotero Forum, especially the MLZ threads, have been really helpful to me.

@garpu:

What was your dissertation? Just curious.

kraml

ch
chi

Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:44 pm Post

Thanks very much Garpu and Kraml! I didn't see your posts until now! ....years later. I went with Papers in the end ;). It's has its pros and cons...still trying to find an optimal way to use it.

garpu

Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:26 pm Post

I really wish such tools existed when I was writing academic things... :)
Slackware 64-bit 14.2, XFCE

Gu
Gustave
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:51 pm Post

Bookends is my favorite bibliographic management software. It is not the sexiest, but allows a very very fine setting and is constantly updated. The developer Jon responds almost instantly if you have a bug.

Papers3 is very buggy and the successor of Papers3, Readcube, will be paid subscription. As for Sente, it's an abandoned software. I do not know what Endnote is worth, but it was too expensive for me.

xiamenese

Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:29 pm Post

Gustave wrote:Bookends is my favorite bibliographic management software. It is not the sexiest, but allows a very very fine setting and is constantly updated. The developer Jon responds almost instantly if you have a bug.

Papers3 is very buggy and the successor of Papers3, Readcube, will be paid subscription. As for Sente, it's an abandoned software. I do not know what Endnote is worth, but it was too expensive for me.

But Bookends is Mac only, which doesn't help anyone using Scrivener on Linux or the Windows version under Wine, and here we're in the Linux sub-forum.

:)

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.13.3, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
iPad Air 2, iOS 11, 64GB
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …