Can wildcards be used in searches?

Ke
KenH
Platform: Windows

Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:07 pm Post

Are there wildcards that I can use in searching?

I'd like to create a Collection of all documents that have Document Notes. I know I can limit the Search window to "Notes"; but how do I get results that have anything typed in the Notes? I tried typical wildcard characters (question mark and asterisk), but they were taken literally. My workaround is to type only a [space] into the search window, and that seems to work (so long as my notes are always more than a single word).

Am I missing something more obvious?

Thanks!

- Ken

Ke
KenH

Mon May 05, 2014 4:11 pm Post

Just following-up on my query in the first post....any suggestions?

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon May 05, 2014 5:11 pm Post

There's no way to do this at the moment, but it will be included in the next major version.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Ke
KenH

Mon May 05, 2014 5:25 pm Post

MM -- Thanks. My workaround (typing just a [space]) has been working for me, but it's good to know I had (again) overlooked something obvious in the manual. From my PoV, not a major rush request.
-- Ken

SarsenLintel
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon May 05, 2014 5:35 pm Post

MimeticMouton wrote:There's no way to do this at the moment, but it will be included in the next major version.

Ma
Mad Girl Disease

Wed May 07, 2014 7:55 pm Post

In situations like this, I use two consecutive semicolons [::] to create a kind of virtual keyword or tag. Since two semicolons never otherwise appear in my project, I can search for them independent of the type of Scrivener object they appear in, and keep the Project search set for All and Exact Phrase (which is the most common search I do.)

If you were to add a custom code to all your Document Notes (perhaps something like ::dn) you could search for something more visible and intentional than just a space.
Lead me not into user error.

Al
AlanReynolds
Platform: Mac

Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:50 am Post

MimeticMouton wrote:
'There's no way to do this at the moment, but it will be included in the next major version.' in 2014

Is there a way in Scrivener to search a field (e.g. Title) for documents beginning with a particular letter? For example in FileMaker Pro searching ==D* finds records which are EXACTLY (by the ==) the letter “D” followed by zero or more characters (by the *)?

I can't find a way yet.
Best regards,

Alan