Late to the game

garpu
Platform: Linux

Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:37 pm Post

Dragle wrote:I've finished installing it all (Wine and Windows Scrivener), and it seems to actually run OK. Fonts in the menus and the binder navigation area are still horrible-looking. They don't look bad to you? Of course since you use Wine a lot, you have probably figured out ways of making it look good and I'm using its default parameters.

Did you use winetricks to install corefonts? Fontsmoth-rgb (or whatever your monitor is) helps, as well. (Just disable it before uninstalling or reinstalling Scrivener.)
Slackware 64-bit 14.2, XFCE

Dr
Dragle

Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:38 pm Post

garpu wrote:Did you use winetricks to install corefonts?

EDIT: I installed corefonts in wine with the command 'winetricks corefonts', but it didn't seem to make any difference in the appearance of the application.

I already had ms core fonts installed on my system (Ubuntu 10.04 LTS).
A writer is a person for whom writing is more difficult than it is for other people.
-- Thomas Mann

garpu

Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:33 am Post

Did fontsmooth-rgb help any?
Slackware 64-bit 14.2, XFCE

na
nathanzal
Platform: Windows

Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:03 pm Post

Wine nightmares. Yuk, who wants to go there? I'm sorry this has been such a bear for you.

FORTUNATELY the Linux beta 0.0.29 is out now. It's a tarball, but follow the instructions someone has already posted and it should work fine.

I've got it installed, and it appears to be working fine. Usual beta caveats, of course.

By the way, you can mount any Linux filesystem on a VirtualBox machine by defining it as a "Shared Folder" It comes through on the windows end looking as if it were a remotely mounted disk. You can actually define it as a Samba share on the Linux side and it will look the same from windows, but that's much, much slower. "Shared Folder" is the way to go. I'll be happy talk about it more offline via PM if you'd like, as it's sorta off-topic here. :wink:

Cheers,

Nathan

Dr
Dragle

Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:33 pm Post

nathanzal wrote:Wine nightmares. Yuk, who wants to go there? I'm sorry this has been such a bear for you.

FORTUNATELY the Linux beta 0.0.29 is out now. It's a tarball, but follow the instructions someone has already posted and it should work fine.

I've got it installed, and it appears to be working fine. Usual beta caveats, of course.

Yeah, I don't know why I went there! :mrgreen: --just thought it sounded like it might be a while for the Linux version and I was impatient to check it out! But Glory Halelluljah, I just downloaded the Linux beta and fired it up. Ahhhhh... it's so bee-yootiful!

nathanzal wrote:By the way, you can mount any Linux filesystem on a VirtualBox machine by defining it as a "Shared Folder" It comes through on the windows end looking as if it were a remotely mounted disk. You can actually define it as a Samba share on the Linux side and it will look the same from windows, but that's much, much slower. "Shared Folder" is the way to go. I'll be happy talk about it more offline via PM if you'd like, as it's sorta off-topic here. :wink:

Cheers,

Nathan

Thanks, I didn't realize it was that easy! We don't need to discuss it further, but your info is probably useful for others who want to run Scrivener via VirtualBox, I don't think it's that off-topic. :)
A writer is a person for whom writing is more difficult than it is for other people.
-- Thomas Mann

Dr
Dragle

Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:34 pm Post

garpu wrote:Did fontsmooth-rgb help any?

I didn't try it, but I'll keep it in mind for the next time I run something under wine, so thanks for the advice. :)
-- Thomas Mann

na
nathanzal

Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:07 pm Post

Well, I don't know about skunkwork. I've been using the last four of five linux betas to get real work done for paid assignments. It has been a lifesaver. Besides the expected glitches of a beta release (and some mistakes from my end) the software works fine.

Skunkwork, in my experience, is not a pejorative term. I've read somewhere that it's unsupported, other than what you can get from these forums (which is not inconsiderable). It's released as a tarball, with one user developed package--hence there is no automatic, user oriented installer. I'd say those characteristics qualify it for that term as a description, not a snark. No snark is intended. If the unsupported status has changed, I think that's all for the better. I've noticed that the Linux "about" box now says "Scrivener for Windows and Linux" whereas it used to say just "Scrivener for Windows." I'd say at the very least that was a step in the right direction.

I didn't find Beta 25 (the last Linux beta) much fun to use, because of some issues I had with it. I've just started using Beta 29, and even though it works wonderfully on many levels, it has most of the problems the Beta 26 had for me, such as the popup menu and window handling problems with multiple monitors, and the disappearing text... and I don't want to list them again here.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm happy that you've been able to do useful work, and I hope that continues, but if I've learned one thing reading these forums it is that people's experiences with the Beta software are really all over the map, including intractable problems some have been having with crashes and similar deal-killing issues--none of which I'm experiencing in any of the three possible environments (Windows, Wine, or native Linux). I don't think one can say that things "work fine" based solely on one's own experience (though of course that is an important data point). That would necessitate ignoring or at least under-valuing the experience of other people, as if program bugs are a subjective, personal thing, and somehow don't matter if they don't happen to me. Or something. You aren't saying all that, of course, but Beta is as Beta does.

As for me, I'm absolutely thrilled to have even a tiny part to play in the emergence of this first class software for Windows/Linux. Mac is a world unto itself, or at least SJ would like it to be, and porting anything Mac to another environment is a brave undertaking indeed.

Cheers, Nathan

el
elmago79
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:21 pm Post

I didn't find Beta 25 (the last Linux beta) much fun to use, because of some issues I had with it. I've just started using Beta 29, and even though it works wonderfully on many levels, it has most of the problems the Beta 26 had for me, such as the popup menu and window handling problems with multiple monitors, and the disappearing text... and I don't want to list them again here.

It's a beta release. There are a lot of bugs. That comes with the territory. I think that you're missing that context here. The idea is to use the software and see where it breaks. And if it's good enough that you can already do real work, I don't see any problem in saying that it works fine.

My guess is that we're one or two betas away from the 1.0 release. We'll have to wait an see what's the status of the Linux release once we get there. The Ubuntu Developer Portal could be a great place to market and support Scrivener once it's ready (both, the plataform and Scrivener). I understand that if it gets too onerous or too time consuming right now to support a Linux version beside the Windows version, they would choose to abandon it, but that might change (I hope it does).

I do hope that long standing bugs like the disappearing text, library confusions and pop-ups get solved before 1.0 for Linux, even if —like it's still stated in the release notes— they choose to keep it free.

na
nathanzal

Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:19 pm Post

It's a beta release. There are a lot of bugs. That comes with the territory. I think that you're missing that context here.

No, I'm not. The "betaness" of the software has never been an issue with me.

The idea is to use the software and see where it breaks. And if it's good enough that you can already do real work, I don't see any problem in saying that it works fine.

If you feel that "There are a lot of bugs" and "it works fine" are statements that work well together for you, well then, okay. That's an interesting point of view.

My guess is that we're one or two betas away from the 1.0 release.

From your lips to Lee's ears.

me
meconotosi
Platform: Mac

Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:00 am Post

Definition of early/late in the kizi game at http://www.kizifan.com an early/late time in a game or sport. She scored a goal early in the game.