Using Scrivener with Dropbox

lu
luc
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed May 25, 2011 10:49 am Post

Hi,
I'm new here. English is not my language, so it may be, that I could not find the right answers.
My problem:
I use scrivener on my Mac and would like to do sometime some changes on "the go". Therefore I put dropbox and PlainText on my I-pod-touch.
So far so good. I CAN find my scrivener project, I can read, and I can even find the document in which the main-text is written … so I COULD change things there … I thought :(
But the file is .rtf and PlainText tells me, that it is not able to edit that.
But some people here ARE writing of changing scrivener-texts on ther I-phone oder I-pad …

Now: Is it possible to change a scrivener-text over my i-touch??

Thank you very much
luc

jg
jgindi

Wed May 25, 2011 3:04 pm Post

Rather than put your Scrivener file on drobox, you need to set up "sync to external folder" to a folder on dropbox. See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVzmMFRGjnQ for a video tutorial.

lu
luc
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed May 25, 2011 7:58 pm Post

I've got it now! Thank you very much for your help!!

vi
visigoth
Platform: Mac

Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:11 am Post

Okay, I now have everything set up to sync to an external folder on Dropbox, which I can then access with Nebulous Notes on my iPod Touch. One issue: when I quit Nebulous Notes, it *automatically* syncs to Dropbox -- which is great. But I can't figure out a way to get Scrivener to the same. Do I have to go through the process of clicking "Sync with External Folder" every time I close Scrivener? Or is there some way to get Scrivener to automatically sync as it closes (the way that it automatically backs up)?

The issue is that you can forget to sync, meaning you'll have an older version in Nebulous Notes. (A related question: any way to get "Sync with External Folder" as a button on the toolbar? That would at least be better than having to navigate the File menu each time.)

jg
jgindi

Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:03 am Post

Yes, you can get Scrivener to sync when you close the file. Just check "Check external folder on project open and automatically sync on close" on the "Sync with External Folder" setup pane.

vi
visigoth

Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:37 pm Post

That's precisely what I've been looking for, but it doesn't show up in my setup pane. (Assuming that's the pane that pops open when you click File > Sync > with External Folder.) I get the option "Check for changes in external folder on project open" -- but nothing that addresses project close. I assume I'm looking in the wrong place; where do you find this check box?

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:03 am Post

Make sure you are running the latest version (2.0.5). The original, one-way automatic method you are describing is from an older version. This checkbox now causes Scrivener to check for updates on project load, and automatically syncs any necessary files out when you close.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

vi
visigoth

Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:53 am Post

Gotcha. Upgraded, and everything's fine. Thanks!

ne
nevdev

Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:27 pm Post

I'm glad to hear that DropBox can be a solution for syncing, if used with care.

I just came across a similar syncing service - "SugarSync". It looks attractive since it allows a larger amount of space on a free account.

Would the same caveats apply to using that service?

AmberV

Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:31 pm Post

Yes, they both operate in a similar fashion. The main user-end difference between the two is that SugarSync lets you select what things you want to maintain between computers, while Dropbox uses a central folder. They also both use the same system for conflict resolution, producing duplicate files of the mismatching item, so if you do run into issues, resolving them can be done in the same fashion as one might fix a project that has been mangled by Dropbox.
Ioa Petra'ka

ne
nevdev

Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:41 pm Post

Hey AmberV - thanks for that advice! I'll give it a go - carefully of course!

AmberV

Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:11 pm Post

Tripper: your tech support conversation regarding indents has been moved here.
Ioa Petra'ka

no
normanfrench

Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:23 am Post

Hi,

I'm afraid I don't understand the instructions below. I'm trying to sync between two macs and an iPad (like a lot of people here it seems). My .scriv file is in dropbox, as is my external folder (with Drafts/Notes subdirectories) for PlainText on the iPad. I can't seem to get my second mac to sync with the .scriv file/folder combination. Should I just give up-- that is, is this impossible (in which case I'd add my plea for this feature to be incorporated into future versions...)? Or am I doing something wrong? Many thanks!

Norm

Re: Using Scrivener with Dropbox
by KB on Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:12 pm

mepelman: If you have a .scriv file saved in a Dropbox, then you can set that project to sync to the same external folder on both machines. That is the exception, because in that case the project is always being synced by Dropbox. But, the rules above still apply - if you sync the project with the external folder on one machine and then close the project and open it on the other machine, be sure to allow Dropbox to sync before you open it. This ensures that the project will always be identical on both machines. Problems with syncing two copies of a project to an external folder arise when you use the external folder as a means of trying to keep them in sync - if the projects are already in sync then it shouldn't be a problem.

As with all syncing, though: be sure to backup obsessively. No syncing routine is 100% safe.

All the best,
Keith

AmberV

Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:34 am Post

Scrivener doesn't actually do anything here. If you have having difficulties getting one of your Macs to keep up to date with Dropbox in general (files are downloading/uploading), you might want to troubleshoot why that is. For example, maybe you are running an older version on one of the Macs that isn't compatible with your operating system. The Dropbox forums might be able to help you out better.

Let me know if that isn't what you meant, though.
Ioa Petra'ka

Ja
Jaze

Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:59 pm Post

Norm, you might also want to try checking that each of your Macs has the most current version of Dropbox - it doesn't seem to flag you when it's time to update, and I recently had just that problem.

On another matter: I work in two locations, and use Dropbox to keep backed up and up to date. I of course live in fear that my .scriv file will get corrupted, but if it does, how will I know? Will Scrivener simply refuse to open the file? Or is it a creeping, incremental thing, where when I'm at page 288 of my novel, it'll suddenly announce to me that I can go no further, since the file is epically corrupted, and has been since page 23?