Hide story arc doesn't affect Entity view

Ja
James Wilde

Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:20 pm Post

Using 0.4.4 on 10.6.3

Great idea behind the software. So far I like the concept. One thing I've seen so far that I wish was different: when I hide a story arc, the items in that story arc are still visible when I return to the entity view.

I've created entities for my main characters, and given them birthdates, so that I know how old they are when things happen. I moved all their birth events to a story arc called Character birthdates and hid that in the story arc view because, apart from calculating their ages at different events, it's no longer of any importance. When I return to entity view, these events are still there, and give me a skewed timeline. I've as much distance on the line between 1982 and 2013 (when the story starts) as I have between 2000 and 2300. Nearly all the events in my story will take place in 2013 to 2014. Is this part of the timeline going to expand as I add events?

And finally, I echo the comment elsewhere in this forum that it would be nice if someone would make available a full-blown timeline to study.

TIA

//James

Spitfire31
Platform: Mac

Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:55 am Post

James Wilde wrote:Using 0.4.4 on 10.6.3
…One thing I've seen so far that I wish was different: when I hide a story arc, the items in that story arc are still visible when I return to the entity view.

I've created entities for my main characters, and given them birthdates, so that I know how old they are when things happen. I moved all their birth events to a story arc called Character birthdates and hid that in the story arc view because, apart from calculating their ages at different events, it's no longer of any importance. When I return to entity view, these events are still there, and give me a skewed timeline.

I have a similar situation – I'd like the ages visible but not have the timeline distorted by otherwise irrelevant birth dates.

James Wilde wrote:I've as much distance on the line between 1982 and 2013 (when the story starts) as I have between 2000 and 2300. Nearly all the events in my story will take place in 2013 to 2014.

It's interesting to see that I wasn't the only one put off by the rather quirky non-linearities of the current beta. This problem is the reason that I've decided to wait and see what Matt comes up with in the next version before I resume beta wrestling with Timeline.

Best,

Joachim

nb
nbfilms
Platform: Mac

Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:39 pm Post

That would be a really nice option. Also, maybe an auto tag for "birth" that can be triggered off hiding birthdays?