New templates and other manuscripts formats

Hello all,

I’m new with this fabulous software. There is one thing i don’t understand: where can i find some news templates and other manuscripts formats (more than the ones they come with the Extra Installer) ?

Thank you again and congratulations to coders!

You have to make them yourself. :slight_smile: You can set up a skeletal project and use File > Save As Template to create your own templates. We hope to have somewhere users can share templates at some point, but for now you can share them in the “Tips & Tricks” forums, although there are very few floating around as yet.

If anyone has any really good templates they’ve made that they think should come with 2.0, please feel free to pass them on. :slight_smile:

All the best,
Keith

Thank you Keith for your post.

Actually, i’m a writer of documentary films. So, there’s the reason why I’m looking for particular template.

Thank you again.

I seem to recall a documentarian or two kicking around these parts. Maybe they have a template to share with you.

Welcome aboard.

That’d be great ,-)
Thank you!

I’m not sure if this would be the proper terminology but an “online project” template would be nice. Single-spaced with an extra line skipped between paragraphs?

Simple and sweet.

Rule favourites sound more appropriate for something like that, then they can be used in whatever project you please.

What do you mean? What are “Rule favourites” ?
Thank you!

Set up the paragraph the way you like it, then open up the ruler (Cmd-R). On the right-hand side you’ll see a drop-down called “Styles”. I refer to them as “Favourites” because they are not styles in the “word processor” sense, they are just some quick formatting short-cuts that work on the current selection. Anyway, choose “Other…” from that menu, and then click the “Add to Favorites” button. Now you can access that from the same drop-down via the name you selected. These can be applied retroactively on selected text, or before you start typing.

I should post somewhere properly about this, but seriously, if anyone has any ideas for templates that they would like to see in Scrivener 2.0, send me those ideas along with the following information:

• Name for the template
• Link to, or document containing, exact description of the formatting required. (For instance, for an academic thesis, it might be university guidelines on the formatting.) Nothing dozens of pages long, though!
• Some idea of how the project should be structured (draft folder name, default label/status set up etc).

I want to include more templates with 2.0, but I can’t create them without the knowledge required!

MacDavid - if you have an example of a documentary script and some ideas of how you would structure a documentary project, let me know, and I can always try to help you set one up that we can then include in 2.0.

All the best,
Keith

Hi Keith!

The problem is… i never found a documentary script on the internet ,-) There’s only fiction scripts, no non-fictions ones. The good structure should be like your screenplay project script plus:

• sources of images (for ex: interviews, archives, photos, and so on)
  • time codes of the source images (very important)
  • voice off (the voice over the documentary)

That’d be wonderful if you can make it for the 2.0 — really.
Probably, other documentary writers could imagine other useful features…

All my best,
David

PS: sorry for my bad english…

Go to Google
Enter “documentary script format”
In .025 seconds, 1,300,000 results appear.
In Safari, several other good prompts appear, like
documentary script template
documentary script writing
documentary script sample, etc, etc

See also “screen writing” on Wikipedia.
A very rich source of links and information

And finally,

(1) “How to Write a Documentary Script”
portal.unesco.org/ci/en/files/24 … script.pdf

(2) “Screenwriting for Film”
scriptologist.com/Forum/Ask/ … _film.html

Hi,
I’m an advertising student who has latched on to this awesome software for my script writing needs. There are a few things that could be implemented to help in script writing for advertising copy writers in particular. Both for radio and TV scripts. Please excuse me as well if I suggest something that is already implemented or possible as I’m still trying to create my own templates for these issues.

First off: Most Radio and Television scripts that I see have a two column layout like this poor example:
web.utk.edu/~rhovland/adv350radiosample.html

I have experimented with this type of formatting but not successfully. Note the SFX and Character’s are in one column that is flush left, then the dialogue is also in another column that is flush left as well.

Also, sometimes a single script will contain both the :60 and :30 versions or :15’s all on one paper, this layout looks like the above but turns into a four column type layout. I can’t find an online example of this view, nor a good google books reference. But, if needed I can scan one of my textbooks.

Further, a two column layout is used sometimes when writing for TV for the copy writer or art director to include camera instructions like:

MOVE IN AS HELPER OPENS SONG: . . . OF THE JOLLY
HIS BOOK AND SITS DOWN GREEN GIANT

CU SPROUT SPROUT: Read me about the Giant’s
baby peas.

CUT WIDE AGAIN. HELPER HELPER: Again, Sprout?
SMILES AS SPROUT NODS.

EEtc…

I realize that this is just really a formatting issue, but It is a format that is used often and should be supported (like i said before if it’s not aalready)

Perhaps there are other copy writers on the forum that can add more to Radio and TV script templates like common camera instructions used like CU (Close up) CUT TO… etc. If not, I could work longer on finding them.

Cheers,
Lucas

Hi,
I’m an advertising student who has latched on to this awesome software for my script writing needs. There are a few things that could be implemented to help in script writing for advertising copy writers in particular. Both for radio and TV scripts. Please excuse me as well if I suggest something that is already implemented or possible as I’m still trying to create my own templates for these issues.

First off: Most Radio and Television scripts that I see have a two column layout like this poor example:
web.utk.edu/~rhovland/adv350radiosample.html

I have experimented with this type of formatting but not successfully. Note the SFX and Character’s are in one column that is flush left, then the dialogue is also in another column that is flush left as well.

Also, sometimes a single script will contain both the :60 and :30 versions or :15’s all on one paper, this layout looks like the above but turns into a four column type layout. I can’t find an online example of this view, nor a good google books reference. But, if needed I can scan one of my textbooks.

Further, a two column layout is used sometimes when writing for TV for the copy writer or art director to include camera instructions like:

(Crap, never mind that, I can’t format in this post either apparently…)

EEtc…

I realize that this is just really a formatting issue, but It is a format that is used often and should be supported (like i said before if it’s not aalready)

Perhaps there are other copy writers on the forum that can add more to Radio and TV script templates like common camera instructions used like CU (Close up) CUT TO… etc. If not, I could work longer on finding them.

Cheers,
Lucas