Drag and Drop Failure

TromboneAl
Platform: Mac

Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:26 pm Post

Today, dragging and dropping text failed. That is, select some text then click and hold on it. The cursor did not change to an arrow, and I couldn't drag the text.

I closed Scrivener and started it again, and then it worked fine. Note that I tend to leave Scrivener running.

Known problem?
Al Macy
I usually have the latest Scrivener and Scapple versions.
Let me copy/paste the version from the About box, and I will add it to my signature.

kewms

Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:28 pm Post

On the Mac, it's necessary to first select text, then click and drag. If you select text, then attempt to drag without releasing the mouse and re-clicking, it won't work.

If the necessary delay between the two operations seems unduly long, check your mouse sensitivity options in System Preferences.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

TromboneAl

Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:43 pm Post

Thanks, but that's not the issue.

1. I saw it failing in Scriv.
2. I experimented, and no matter how careful I was, the selected text wouldn't drag.
3. I did the same thing TextEdit. Dragging and dropping worked fine.
4. I quit and restarted Scrivener, and it immediately worked fine.
Al Macy
Let me copy/paste the version from the About box, and I will add it to my signature.

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:36 pm Post

For that reason, and for a bunch of other that have been discussed to death, don't leave Scrivener running?
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes

TromboneAl

Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:46 pm Post

devinganger wrote:For that reason, and for a bunch of other that have been discussed to death, don't leave Scrivener running?

Reasonable advice, but often I haven't decided to finish writing for the day. Get up for lunch, for example, life happens, and I don't get back to it until the next day.
Al Macy

kewms

Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:29 pm Post

This is what the autoclose command is for. Scrivener -> Preferences -> General -> Automatic Quit.

This sounds like the sort of thing we sometimes see if the project display settings have become corrupted. If it starts to happen on a regular basis, please open a support ticket so that we can do more in depth troubleshooting.
https://www.literatureandlatte.com/contact-us

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

TromboneAl

Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:47 pm Post

I think I know what's going on. In Scrivener, after I've been using it for a while, when I click on selected text I must wait two seconds before I can drag it. In every other app (Textedit, word, chrome, for example) I've tried on my Mac, I do not have to wait at all.

This video illustrates this:

https://youtu.be/vAgkFoOtWLY

After I restart Scrivener, the delay is almost, but not quite, instantaneous. I will make note of how quickly that required delay starts increasing.
Al Macy

kewms

Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:14 am Post

Does it depend on your usage pattern? Big Scrivenings sessions vs. individual documents? Lots of new research material?

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

TromboneAl

Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:46 pm Post

kewms wrote:Does it depend on your usage pattern? Big Scrivenings sessions vs. individual documents? Lots of new research material?

Katherine

I don't know yet. I'll keep an eye on it.
Al Macy