File size not shrinking when images deleted?

cl
clark
Platform: Mac

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:35 am Post

Hello everyone;

I have been using Scrivener for many things, a recent project is to assemble a cookbook of my family's recipes. About 2,200 scanned recipes. I created the cookbook sections, then drag n' dropped jpegs from the Finder, each onto its own chapter/article. At about 1000 in, I got nervous that I was asking a bit much of Scrivener, file size 499MB, so I stopped importing, and began instead to OCR the images with FineReader, replacing jpegs with text. I expected the file size to drop pretty signicantly at ~50% conversion, but it has not. Note, I am not moving the images to trash, rather I am using the delete key. Compilation time is approx 8 minutes, and it produces a 1,190 page PDF. Scrivener 3.1.5 (12258)

I have two questions:
1) Am I correct to be concerned about file size, and is there anything I can do about it?
2) Is there a bulk way to stop images from apearing in the compiled PDF, other than checking and unchecing each item?

Thanks!

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:32 am Post

File size: No, some people have Gb size projects.
Deleting in Scrivener usually puts things in the internal Scrivener Trash. Did you empty it?
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running Mojave.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

cl
clark
Platform: Mac

Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:46 pm Post

Thank you, lunk. Appreciate the file size tip. Good to know. On deleting, when erasing an image with the delete (backspace) key, the image does not go into the trash, rather it vanishes. Cheers

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:23 am Post

Clark,

Any chance you've got snapshot of docs that still have images in them?

Just a thought...

Best,
Jim
I’m just a customer.

Na
NamoNakiMichi
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:06 pm Post

clark wrote:Scrivener, file size 499MB

Lol, 499MB is not that big, My WIP is 57GIG right now.

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:33 pm Post

clark wrote:Thank you, lunk. Appreciate the file size tip. Good to know. On deleting, when erasing an image with the delete (backspace) key, the image does not go into the trash, rather it vanishes. Cheers

Where are you deleting this from? According to the manual (section 6.2.3), when you delete a file in Scrivener, it moves it to the Trash.

Are you using linked images and storing those linked images in a folder inside of your project folder? If so, Scrivener isn't managing those extra files and could be bloating your project size. Section 15.7 of the manual talks about using linked images.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:42 pm Post

My assumption was the OP had originally copy/pasted images into the Scriv docs, then in the effort to reduce size, had deleted the images, but not the docs. If that's the case, Scriv trash would not be involved, which is why I inquired about the possibility of document snapshots.

Good idea about linked images, though. That would also do it.

Best,
Jim
I’m just a customer.