An update to this -- I closed the project yesterday, reopened, and yesterday's word count was still saved. Also, the ability to tweet progress to Twitter is gone. Was that functionality removed and I'm just missing it in the beta notes?
Sorry to keep coming back but this is new -- I manually reset my progress last night so I could see how my target goal had changed, then closed the program. When I reopened the program, yesterday's word count was there. That's the first time I can remember manually resetting it and still having to do it again the next time I opened it. I wasn't paying particular attention before, to be honest, so it could have happened before. I'm just paying more attention to my deadline right now.
Counts seem to be resetting every time now. But there's still a problem with text that has been cut and pasted being counted as new words.
Actually, no...that's not it. What's happening is that if I cut all the text from a document and paste it into another, then put the empty document into the trash...several thousand words are added to my word count for the day. I didn't note down the exact word counts of the documents I put in the trash, but I watched the session target jump as soon as I put the empty docs in there. Emptying the trash does not delete the words from the session target, either.
ETA: Merging documents increases session target as well.