"Import and merge" option does not appear

Dr
DrT
Platform: Mac

Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:12 pm Post

I can't seem to merge two versions of the same project. I follow the directions in Section 5.3.2 of the manual, but after I select the second project in Finder I do not receive a message with the option of "Import and Merge." What happens is I see the progress dialogue showing the count of files that have been copied. If I look under the Documents menu in the tool bar, the Merge command is gray.

I'm running Scrivener 3.1.4 on a Retina MacBookPro, 15", Late 2013, 2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, OS X 10.14.6.

Help! :(

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:39 pm Post

To test and make sure that the procedure you are using is correct, I would try something very simple like this:

1. Create a test project, blank is fine.
  2. Use the File ▸ Back Up ▸ Back Up To... menu command, with the zip compression option disabled.
  3. Open the copy you just created, type in a word into the starter document, and close the project.
  4. The original project should still be open, with that window active, use the File ▸ Import ▸ Scrivener Project... command, and select the copy you just edited.

You should see the import & merge dialogue appear, and if you select merge, the starter document in the original project should be updated to reflect the changes made to the copy.

Just want to make sure we’re on the same page with the procedure, since normally speaking, one wouldn’t be selecting the copy in Finder when attempting to merge.

If I look under the Documents menu in the tool bar, the Merge command is gray.

That is for merging individual outline elements in the binder.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles