[LH4350] Space/Kerning issue in beta 3 - Urdu - Font Jameel Noori Nastaleeq - Right to Left

bush46
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:33 am Post

My comments apply to beta 3 in WIN10. Urdu language, text direction Right to Left, font Jameel Noori Nastaleeq.

The difference I have found in the beta 3 version is that of unpredictable (?) font kerning and space bar cursor movement.

The standard version 1.9.15.0 allows me to visibly advance a space when I tap the Space bar key after finishing a word. The cursor keeps on advancing each time I tap Space key. Also, the Urdu words appear well spaced.

Standard Version.png
Standard Version.png (24.24 KiB) Viewed 719 times

In the beta version 2.9.0.26 there is NO visible space movement on tapping Space key after a word, no matter how many times I tap. The tiny space becomes visible only after typing the next word. Overall, the space between words appears crowded.

beta 3 version.png
beta 3 version.png (20.82 KiB) Viewed 719 times

Strangely enough, the crowded end result actually looks more like if it had been traditionally hand written (scribers tend to overlap some words slightly depending on the edge characters to write more in a given space. This may be desirable but having no visible cursor movement as you tap Space bar is unexpected. What if I wanted more than one space between words?

MimeticMouton

Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:19 am Post

Thanks for the report, and my apologies for the late reply here. This is logged in our bug tracker to take a look at; I'm afraid I don't have a solution for you immediately. If you copy and paste the text into another word processor that supports the font, does the spacing appear correct there? What if you compile it to RTF or PDF from Scrivener using the "Default" compile format?
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

bush46

Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:17 am Post

MimeticMouton wrote:Thanks for the report, and my apologies for the late reply here. This is logged in our bug tracker to take a look at; I'm afraid I don't have a solution for you immediately. If you copy and paste the text into another word processor that supports the font, does the spacing appear correct there? What if you compile it to RTF or PDF from Scrivener using the "Default" compile format?

Please see sample of results as you suggested.
TestSample20200219.png
TestSample20200219.png (48.6 KiB) Viewed 49 times