1st october:License engine broken again

Your fix last months workes - tillthis morning.
Now with the first of the month the message is back that my Scrivener could not be authenftificated . Though supposedly it did last month after the update to fix this bug.

Please, change the whole system and get rid of that thrid party stuff.
Or return to you former license partner. - whyever did you change that?

Anyway this just don’t work. Now we get dangerously near of switching back to trial mode. And Scrivner 3 is still in Beta and can’t be used for compiling to EPUB. So we do need a working Scrivener 1.9

Annemarie

I think that there are some fixes for the latest license manager issue in this thread:

The license manager previously used closed down, and with very short notice. Paddle is a widely used eCommerce platform. I don’t know why they’ve been having such trouble dealing with Lit&Lat’s products.

literatureandlatte.com/blog … ith-paddle

The first step is to make sure you are updated to the latest version of Scrivener 1.9 for Windows – 1.9.0.14.

Just to address this particular matter, my understanding is that the former licensing service simply went out of business, or at any rate closed down, and L&L had no choice but to find another vendor. From what I’ve seen here, the new vendor is not very impressive. I hope they may look for a better one, once the Windows revision is finished.

This may not work for everyone, but I’ve found that I can safely ignore the hotfix update message, and continue to work in v. 1.9.9. I suppose I may sometime come up against an update anniversary or something and have to deal with Paddle, but so far I’ve had no problem.

I LOVE this type of comment. Not.
That’s so helpful.

Devin is trying to help with a basic trouble-shooting technique. Since you didn’t mention that you verified that you are indeed running version 1.9.0.14, which could be the root of the issue, that is the first thing to verify. If I were experiencing this issue, it’s the first thing I would check for myself.

This is the sort of thing I have to ask of the users I support at my job, and maybe 10% of the time, it’s the key to the issue.

You’re not being disrespected, you’re being helped.

Especially since we have seen multiple cases in the forums where people were confused about which version of Scrivener they were running – applying a temporary hotfix meant to patch one specific version to the updated version released afterwards, etc. I was simply trying to establish a baseline that you are running on a properly installed, up-to-date copy, and still seeing the problem.

EDIT: I also tend to assume the 10:1 rule – for every 1 person who posts a question on a forum, there are at least 10 who have the same question but haven’t posted (whether they are current readers or future readers). I try to write with those folks in mind as well, which is why I may give extra background on a detailed answer, or sometimes give super-short answers to set a baseline.

I looked and my version is 1.9.14.0, but I think you had written 1.9.0.14, right? So, just to be sure, I downloaded the version for Windows directly from the website. When I look at Properties, it says 1.9.14.0, which is what I have.

So, I have the correct version. However, when I tried to open Scrivener, it said it couldn’t authenticate me and put me in trial mode. It told me what my serial number was and said to write it down, which I did.

I looked up my purchase info. I purchased it on 19 January 2019.

Any suggestions?

UPDATE: I just checked the version of .NET and it appears that I have 4.0.0.0, so I’ll go find out where to get it, download it, reboot (uh, restart), and report back.

UPDATE 2: I was looking at the wrong place in regedit. I have 4.7.03190. I will reboot now, though the computer’s been rebooted at least twice in the last few days, once after a Windows 10 update.

I’m also using the latest version (1.9.14.0) and have the same problem.

Looking forward to the next release to fix it.

Luckily, I’m still operational.

Cheers Graeme

Well, the major issue is imho that each time we open Scrivener there is a check running for authntifiction that seem to need a connection to internet. or how do I have to understand the workings of this registration machine?
Once installed, the code should be saved within the program data and not need any further handling.

How would you check for license activation on too many computers simultaneously, or for a revoked license, without checking on each startup? L&L give us very generous license stipulations for a very reasonable price – surely they are in turn entitled to enforce what limits they have put in place?

Update from my previous post:

There was another Windows update on October 4, so after I shut down the computer and then restarted it, I launched Scrivener again. It still said I was in Trial mode, so I clicked the button for entering a new license key and entered the license code I’ve been using all along. It accepted it and it now working.

So we had another Update now.
But still , also with 1.9.15, -the error message comes back.Only now not each time. that should not be.

How can ithat work without internet connection?

That’s why you get a grace period. You don’t have to be connected every time, but you do need to occasionally connect.