It's official - Constructive Criticism as a form of improvement is DEAD!

Go
Gothelittle
Platform: Windows

Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:25 pm Post

I think I said this before, but...

Ever since I learned how to Sync To External Folder, thus setting up my book in its proper structure in neat lil rtf files, I have always done it on a project in progress. Not only does it let me edit it in Android if I happen to want to add something while I'm on my phone (my least favorite way of writing, but inspiration doesn't really care), but it gives me a backup that isn't dependent on Scrivener's format, whether it be V3Beta or V1.

Coming to writing from a background as a software engineer, I am particularly careful about work loss prevention. I didn't move 100% to Scrivener 3 Beta yet, but I probably will now that my (very first book, hurrah!) project has been turned over to the editor. I'll be sure to use a different syncing folder, just in case!

theswede
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:46 pm Post

JackSchaeffer wrote:There are MUCH BETTER ways to do Windows programming than the path L&L has chosen to follow, as I understand it.

There are not. These comments come from people who have little or no experience with this kind of project, with trying to create and maintain custom GUI controls, and especially with long term maintenance of Windows software.

What there are, are other ways of developing Windows software which the people making these suggestion are more familiar or more comfortable with. The specific example you quote is one of those, with a person unused to C++ programming who finds C# easier to read. Anyone unfamiliar with C++ will find that. That would not be true of an experienced C++ programmer, who would find the opposite to be true.

And all the .NET and C# frameworks share one huge problem; long term viability is horrid. I have spent a significant part of my career working with Microsoft's frameworks, and they ALWAYS abandon them and supersede them with something new and shiny. This leads to maintenance nightmares and expensive rewrites. Qt has spent a very long time in a highly stable state, and has always been reasonable in effort to port from major version to a new major version. Unlike Microsoft they have their framework as their product, not the underlying platform, and therefore they need to keep the framework competitive and backwards compatible. And at worst, if they decide to end development, the source is available.

L&L chose not to engage in discussions over personal preference and why they should not adopt frameworks which are guaranteed to be legacy sooner rather than later, and instead spend their time working on creating a product for their customers. I will not even try to fault them for that. Neither ought you.
Jesper Anderson SA5NEO
Computer scientist. Software engineer. Scifi writer. Scuba diver.

Ja
JackSchaeffer
Platform: Windows

Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:50 pm Post

DavidR wrote:
leoeris wrote:Stand down.

Go write.

Grow up.

JackSchaeffer wrote:.... Have I exaggerated? Don't believe me? Watch what happens next...

This is exactly the response that will justify JackSchaeffer in his closing warning. You don't know how much he writes, aside from the 10 minutes or so it took to write that post. As for "Grow up" ... like I said, 5th grade dodgeball. "Why don't you grow up?" "Well why don't you grow up?" Well why does your mother dress you so funny?"

Exactly. I rest my case. Thanks, guys (and ladies). Happy writing!

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:50 pm Post

JackSchaeffer wrote:Exactly. I rest my case. Thanks, guys (and ladies). Happy writing!

Bro, you came in looking to pick a fight. Don't act all innocent.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot