License manager ended unexpectedly

ka
kataja
Platform: Linux

Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:51 pm Post

That it has got working (so far?) for most Windows users does not make it less Defective By Design, i.e. Intentionally broken. "Protecting it from illegal use" by preventing also legal use.

If the licensing had been done properly (give the program the code and it checks it -- internally, without needing connections) there would have been no problems. Games typically work that way (and they actually often are pirated). Or then you register to their server (knowing what it is) and download.

Now the license code obviously is handled by an outsider module badly integrated using then obviously a badly-designed MS connection program (possibly intentionally designed to "detect wrong OS" and stop working) to connect to an obscure server somewhere (No way to check of that server is even working. Maybe it works only when moon's up, or only on weekdays 11AM to 2PM according to a timezone that isn't revealed,)

If the license makes it non-working through wine, that's an abomination. And really, if I have paid for a program I expect to have no hassle after that, requiring me to try to update this and that FOR LICENSE.

Do you remember the Sony's rootkit scandal? CD:s that installed a virus to computers that you used as a CD-player. In the name of "copy-protection"? This has the same taste. Only the possibility to stop a breathing machine is missing.

As
Astaff
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:51 pm Post

kataja wrote:
If the license makes it non-working through wine, that's an abomination. And really, if I have paid for a program I expect to have no hassle after that, requiring me to try to update this and that FOR LICENSE.

You paid for a licence for it to work on Windows, not WINE. You have every right to expect it to work on Windows, you have no right to expect it to work on WINE. If it does, that is a bonus, but one that is not promised in the licence, or their advertising.

That said it has been a shambles with the change, and yes L&L could have handled it better and communicated more, but their commitment and responsibility is to get it working on Windows, which is what they sold it for. I have no doubt they hope to have it working for those Linux users who run it on WINE, but they may not have staff who have any experience on that platform.

devinganger

Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:35 pm Post

kataja wrote:That it has got working (so far?) for most Windows users does not make it less Defective By Design, i.e. Intentionally broken. "Protecting it from illegal use" by preventing also legal use.

If you are not a lawyer who specializes in software licensing, you need to maybe stop spouting obviously incorrect opinions.

As a professional in the IT world for over 25 years, I can promise you that "call home" license activation has been a thing for as long as the ability to connect over the Internet has been a thing. Before then, you'd have to install a license activation server on your local network. If something happened to it, all sorts of chaos would erupt. Those are many late nights I will never get back. Plenty of modern software does it too.

You may not like it, and you may have valid philosophical reasons for how you feel, but courts in jurisdictions worldwide have upheld the legality of software performing periodic licensing checks (and shutting down if they don't pass).
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

kewms
Platform: Mac

Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:45 am Post

devinganger wrote:As a professional in the IT world for over 25 years, I can promise you that "call home" license activation has been a thing for as long as the ability to connect over the Internet has been a thing. Before then, you'd have to install a license activation server on your local network. If something happened to it, all sorts of chaos would erupt. Those are many late nights I will never get back. Plenty of modern software does it too.

There's plenty of modern software that flat refuses to run without an internet connection, so that it can phone home every time you use it, not just every couple of months.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

kewms

Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:49 am Post

Link for the curious: the Scrivener for Windows license agreement.
http://www.literatureandlatte.com/downl ... indows.pdf

You are responsible for checking that your operating system and any software that you use
on that operating system will not affect the functionality of the Software.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

ka
kataja

Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:21 am Post

kewms wrote:Link for the curious: the Scrivener for Windows license agreement.
http://www.literatureandlatte.com/downl ... indows.pdf

You are responsible for checking that your operating system and any software that you use
on that operating system will not affect the functionality of the Software.

Katherine

I do not have anything in the system or software that would "affect the functionality of the software". Software is Scrivener, and it has worked without problem for two years.
I have not made any kind of contract with that licensing company that has made a mess.

devinganger is speaking of professional programs which are bought after long negotiations and cost more than a worker yearly salary.

This could be compared with a vendor of $1 school notebooks to whom someone has sold a new security system. Now the notebooks are in closets that have three locks that have to be separately opened. The keys are held by separate persons who all must be there to open the locks. If one of them is missing , notebooks cannot be sold.
'

As
Astaff

Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:38 am Post

kataja wrote:
I do not have anything in the system or software that would "affect the functionality of the software". Software is Scrivener, and it has worked without problem for two years.
I have not made any kind of contract with that licensing company that has made a mess.

devinganger is speaking of professional programs which are bought after long negotiations and cost more than a worker yearly salary.

'

You are running Scrivener on an unsupported platform, so there are at least 4 scenarios that could ‘affect functionality’.
1. A change in Wine could break it
2. A change in Linux could break it
3. A change in Scrivener could break it
4. Someone sneezing in the next room could break it.
Whether it previously worked for 1 year or 10 is immaterial.

Because you are on an unsupported platform, even without the licensing issue that has I believe been fixed for Windows users, Scrivener works on your platform if you are lucky and if it doesn’t L&L have no liability to you. (My commercial law background) As they claim Scrivener for Windows works on Windows only their support liability begins an ends with Windows. They are actively working to ensure Scrivener 1.9 works for all Windows users.

Licences phoning home occurs in some everyday programs, not just the enterprise ones you claim Devinganger was referring to.

ka
kataja

Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:12 pm Post

What if I had bought the program now?
Ok they do not guarantee that it works. But that is what the trial is for.
I test the program with trial, see, that it works flawlessly, at least flawlessly enough for me and decide to buy.
And it turns out the licensing does not work. A thing I could not have tested before buying.
They have told only "we do not guarantee", not "it cannot be licensed outside Windows".

I know there are programs that "phone home" and need internet connection to work. I avoid those at all costs (of course unless the internet connection is necessary for the function of the program, like an online game or real-time contact program -- but then it is the program itself that needs connection),and I presume that if there is a usable alternative, people soon vote for their money.

Ar
Arkhikernc
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:49 pm Post

I get the license error messages pasted into the beginning of this thread. I use Windows 10 and paid for the license in January of this year. I just now updated the software and the messages stopped. Is this fix permanent? Am I going to lose my account? Is the software going to lock me out in two months?

Scrivener is still working but and I love the software program. I don't want to have to switch but I also don't want to have this worry hanging over my head of being locked out of the program. I compile my novel to word periodically so I won't lose it.

Thanks for all you do.

kewms

Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:13 pm Post

The root cause of the problem was an issue with the licensing toolkit that we use. This problem now appears to be fixed, and you shouldn't have any further problems.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

devinganger

Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:58 pm Post

kataja wrote:devinganger is speaking of professional programs which are bought after long negotiations and cost more than a worker yearly salary.

Well, no, that's not all I'm speaking of. I can think of several dozen small utilities that do a regular license check off the top of my head. It may not be common, but it's not unknown. Please don't put words in my mouth.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

kewms

Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:09 pm Post

kataja wrote:devinganger is speaking of professional programs which are bought after long negotiations and cost more than a worker yearly salary.

Like Microsoft Office?
https://support.office.com/en-us/articl ... 170b1e187e

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Ba
Babs
Platform: Windows

Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:11 pm Post

Stopped by to say I updated my system with version 1.9.14.0. The license problem went away and Scrivener uploads quickly now with no other issues. Big thanks for your help.

AA
AAMP

Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:32 am Post

With version Version: 1.9.15.0 - 13 out 2019, the issue seemed fixed. Last Nov, 2nd suddenly reverted to TRIAL MODE.
Anyone else subjected to this?
AAMP

La
Lamdabhai

Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:11 pm Post

Hello everyone,,
I have also installed the fix and have not gotten the message at startup (for me it was popping up almost every time I opened the program, so this is already a welcome improvement). Additionally, start up was definitely faster with altered exe file than the original exe file.