Windows Beta 19-21 Crashing

tiho_d
Platform: Linux + Windows

Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:30 pm Post

Testing this further I can confirm that the Scrivener's source code does not trigger any external communication, except checking for updates when using Help > Check for Updates. If some of the Qt or 3rd-party libraries(like Google Breakpad) within Scrivener initiate any network communication we have to trace further.

Mi
MikeA29
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:36 pm Post

@Krastev... Perhaps you should carefully read the reason from the OP, the thread as a whole, and take into account that thousands of users cannot be bothered to respond, feel they don't have confidence in their technical ability for providing feedback, or will be abused if they try to give feedback.

For certain, there are at least three people, unknown to each other, on different systems, who experience crashes. Presumably, given your confidence in responding, you have significant technical ability. Are you able to assist discover what's causing the crash issue? Before product gets to market and faces wide reporting?

In my case, I spent time providing feedback to developers after investigating for the the purpose of helping.

rw
rwfranz
Platform: Windows

Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:10 am Post

MikeA29 wrote:... and after a system restart fired up Scriv --- same problem (if I'm honest, plus a few swear words).

Next, I looked for what Scriv was doing by first reloading it, then checking with other tools. I could not open or close Scriv projects, or point and click the cursor to do anything in Scriv to invoke a response. This suggests that whatever Scrivener is doing that fails, it's part of loading processes. Restarted my system, loaded Process Explorer, and this time started Wireshark to observe network traffic. 14 seconds into Scriv startup I see a call to 151.101.2.49 (Fastly cloud servers, Kansas USA: AlienVault reports 3.5K+ URIs using same IP). Now one of those two brain cells is wondering if Scriv crashes because of an unsuccessful calling-home procedure. For GDPR reasons this sets the other brain cell shouting about why a UK company is using my system to do anything within the USA, the European Court having ruled that USA is not safe for data. Whether or not there is a calling-home procedure, Scriv crashes soon after it.

Okay. Looking at it. Haven't had to use Wireshark in a while.

Why would Scrivener call that IP?

"surfing" to that IP, it says

Code: Select all

Fastly error: unknown domain: 151.101.2.49. Please check that this domain has been added to a service.

Details: cache-sea1042-SEA

Suspicious.

What else do you have that would call that IP? Because my copy is doing nothing like that.

Scrivener checked 69.163.177.169 for updates.

Code: Select all

193   114.735497   192.168.128.13   69.163.177.169   HTTP   269   GET /scrivenerforwindows/UpdatesScrivener3Betax64/updates.xml HTTP/1.1

And nothing more. Okay. I'll uninstall and reinstall, see if something changes for first run.

rw
rwfranz
Platform: Windows

Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:38 am Post

Hmm. Scrivener called nothing on reinstall. However, AVG immediately phoned home about the application.

st
steve94l
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:38 am Post

Still having crash issues, Not as frequent and generally only whilst sleeping the computer (to fetch a much needed tea/meal). RE Cloud storage - storing on a local copy which syncs with the cloud storage. It appears the conversation has since digressed beyond my technical expertise - good luck!