LATEX template and Windows 3 Beta 18.

lo
logaandm
Platform: Windows

Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:38 am Post

RE: General Non-Fiction LaTeX template.

Included in the template in the Research section is an example PDF file generated using Scrivener and a TEX compiler showing the capabilities. I am especially interested in the ability to use TEX for equations. Unfortunately I have been unable to use the template to generate anything remotely like the sample document.

If I create a new project using the above template and then compile according to the instruction in the template the resulting file:

1. Has a TXT extension and not a TEX extension that the template says should be created.
2. The file will not compile correctly in TexStudio after I change the file extension to TEX,

In other words, following the instructions included in the template I cannot generate a useable TEX file.

If I compile for MMD-LaTeX, a TEX file as well as a number of other supporting TEX files are created. These files will compile properly in TexStudio. However, all the PRE-MATTER TEX commands, like \usepackage{} are not sent through correctly and while they do not generate errors, they also do not work as intended in TexStudio.

So, as it stands, I cannot use the template to generate a useable TEX document.

Am I missing something or is there a mismatch between the template and the version of Scrivener I am using?

Bear in mind that I made no changes to the template. All I have done is compile.

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:50 am Post

It was created for Mac v.3, and as I understand it, Mac templates differ slightly from Windows templates. Also, I get the impression that MD compile on Windows may still have issues.

Someone will now come along and tell me I'm wrong on both counts! :D

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.14.5, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iOS 12.3.1, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

lo
logaandm

Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:06 pm Post

I have tested the same template on a MacBook using the same procedure. it worked exactly as expected.

Looks like a Windows Beta bug and probably the compiler. Specifically:

1. Compiler not changing the extension to TEX.
2. LaTeX preamble (e.g. \documentclass{} etc.) TEX commands are not being placed in the compiled document.
3. Scrivener links are not being resolved properly prior to being placed in the compiled document.

All these things are done correctly on the Mac version. Hopefully it will be fixed in the next beta or in the final. I don't want to use MacBook. Most of my software and especially my technical software is Windows only based.

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:10 pm Post

Come to think of it further, the problem must be in the compile process. If Mac templates were different to Windows templates, projects would be incompatible too. So I guess my memory on that front related to trying to open it using Windows v. 1.9, with which it would be incompatible.

I think there are relevant threads about compiling through MMD and/or Pandoc in the Beta Testing forum.

:)

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.14.5, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iOS 12.3.1, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:31 pm Post

Yeah, the problems are exclusively in the compiler I think. It looks like most or all of the project settings, styles and other features are working properly at this time. So one could go ahead and use this template to begin a writing project, with the understanding that it won’t compile yet, and that if they needed to compile, they’d be better off just creating a blank plain-text compile format and working in a more as-is fashion (they would also want to move the rest of the preamble and footer out of the Text Layout compile format pane).

This is not a case where MMD or Pandoc is involved. This template in fact is built for those that do not want to use Markdown to generate their LaTeX documents—rather they prefer or need to compose in raw LaTeX itself for the most part, a practice these conversion engines makes unwieldy.

So it is exclusively a showcase for what Scrivener can do with the “Plain Text” compile file type, in the sense of being able to build your own complex file format generators (or in this case, a showcase of how much is still on the to-do list for Windows :oops:). There are whole panes that aren’t working (Document Title Options are ignored, Markup and Text Layout panes do not do anything) and many smaller issues, such as the special <$linkID> placeholder not being implemented, which will not only cause all cross-referencing to break, but generate invalid LaTeX syntax wherever anyone uses a chapter, section, figure, table or equation.

It’s a fairly comprehensive and complex template in terms of its compile settings—so it will be a good barometer for how far along the compiler is coming.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

lo
logaandm

Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:09 pm Post

AmberV wrote:Yeah, the problems are exclusively in the compiler …

With each new beta I have tested to see if any of these problems have been addressed and they have not

TEX, with or without Scrivener, is a big investment in workflow development and time. My evaluation of Scrivener has essentially been on hold for three months because the beta does not produce TEX files as intended with the template and export setup. They are not exported as anything remotely useable. They are not even exported as TEX files.

I am not going to use MacOS and I am not going to use the previous version. If I am going to spend hours developing a workflow for TEX and Scrivener, it has to be with the beta.

I realize that TEX isn't, and probably should not be a priority. Nevertheless, I am asking that next beta that the Latex compiler be fixed so it at least I can export a TEX file, bugs or no bugs? Then, at least I can flesh out a workflow for evaluation.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:00 pm Post

I hear you, but to be fair the ePub, RTF, PDF and other areas of the compiler are also not running to specification either, and some of the reasons for that are related to LaTeX in that they all work from the same underlying mechanisms that are not fully developed.

I am not going to use MacOS and I am not going to use the previous version.

The older version doesn’t even remotely do any of what this template is supposed to do, to be clear. So that’s not really an option. With the older version (and how you can use the beta as well), if you use the plain .txt output to make LaTeX files you are 100% typing in the LaTeX yourself and using Scrivener more as a plain-text file host for assembling a long .tex file from smaller snippets organised into an outline. It’s a very pure way of using Scrivener, and not one to be mocked in my opinion. It fundamentally works like it would if you used Emacs or Vim to write a large .tex document.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles