Sometimes opens up old file

ji
jimmypete
Platform: Windows

Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:36 am Post

Each time I start a writing session, and after I have completed a significant segment, I do a "Save As" a new document, using the same file name with the date and version variable at the end.

For instance, "Doc Title 190724a" would be saved as "Doc Title 190724b" if I wrote a large segment, and tomorrow I will start by opening the last version of the previous day, and Save As "Doc Title 190725a" - and so on.

Most of the time, when I open Scrivener for the first session of the day, it will automatically open the last file.

But sometimes, it opens an old one.

I have no idea why it does that. I have to check my files every time.

It is set up to save to a folder that Google Drive is constantly backing up.

Jim

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:46 am Post

You should read this advisory part about why you should not use Google Drive:

"At this time we strongly discourage the use of Google Drive for synchronising live projects. While this service appears to be stable for the transfer of simple files, complex formats like Scrivener have been known to cause it to fail, reverting, corrupting or even erasing months of work. In the cases we have handled, there has been no way to recover the data if local backups were not available. Please consider using another service for your synchronisation."

https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb ... e-advisory
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:27 pm Post

jimmypete wrote:Each time I start a writing session, and after I have completed a significant segment, I do a "Save As" a new document

[...]

Most of the time, when I open Scrivener for the first session of the day, it will automatically open the last file.

But sometimes, it opens an old one.

I have no idea why it does that.
Jim

Save As effectively copies your current project to the new name, closes the original, and then opens the new version. If you then quit Scrivener with the new one open, it will be the what opens when you re-launch Scrivener. There may be other ways that this happens, but I can tell you a way that it will never happen: Use File->Back Up->Back Up To...

That menu item creates a copy (and can automatically add the date to the name + zip up the project if you check those options) while the original remains open--the copy is never opened in Scrivener, so you have zero chance of accidentally loading that copy up. I highly recommend that you take advantage of that menu item, no matter how you maintain the filenames, so that you can avoid accidentally opening/editing the "save as" copy.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

ji
jimmypete
Platform: Windows

Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:44 pm Post

Thanks for the info. I'll stop using cloud sync backup on my live projects and do manual backups by copying the projects into a sync folder from now on.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:14 am Post

Some cloud services are okay for live projects, like Dropbox. But live projects and backups should preferably not be in the same cloud service.

And talking about backups, you do know that you can tell Scrivener to make a backup every time you close the project? Zipped and with a date and time stamp. And you can decide how many backups you want to keep - 5, 10, 20, 50. And where to keep them. When the set number is reached, Scrivener will delete the oldest backup and save the new. Scrivener essentially does what you are doing manually.

Still, I sometimes find myself doing something similar, falling back into old Word habits. :)

Bottom line: Scrivener auto-saves your work every time you stop writing for a few seconds, and it makes a time stamped backup on project close if you set it up to do so.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS