Publishing from Scrivener to Kindle - Where to Start?

dr
driver49
Platform: Mac

Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:56 pm Post

I've been an avid Scrivener user for several years. Also, as an Apple retail employee I have frequent opportunity to tell Mac and iOS users about the advantages Scrivener offers over other mere 'word processors.'

Now I have a bit of a challenge that I need help sorting out and it involves publishing a book to the mobi format in order to get it back in the Kindle store.

"The Boy Who Invented Television" (http://www.farnovision.com/book.html) was published in 2002 and republished under my own imprint in 2005. Once upon a time, I managed to upload the original manuscript file (PDF? DOC? Darned if I remember...) to the Kindle Store and it sold dozens of copies there every year, at least. Then some time ago (it might have been like two years...) I received a notification from Amazon that the Kindle file did not conform to their specifications; Somebody had complained that some image files were out of alignment and the book was removed from the Kindle store.

Now I am prepared to mount the challenge of revising the file and restoring it to the Kindle store. I know that Scrivener can do that, but I don't know where exactly to start or what the protocols and procedures are.

So at first blush, I'm just asking if somebody can steer me to a primer on how that is done.

I suspect that I will have to return to the original manuscript and copy/paste each chapter into a Scrivener doc. I am not sure how I will preserve any of the nice design, layout, and formatting that went into the actual manuscript as it was published. I sorely hope I don't have to start from scratch in that regard.

So whoever is reading this, please steer me to page one of the primer. If this topic has already been addressed elsewhere in these forums, then, great, just steer me there and I'll follow along.

And, oh yeah, I need to get all this figured out and done within the next week, because I want to release some promotional material around the 50th Anniversary or Apollo 11 starting July 16). No prob, right?

Thanks,

--PS
(Paul Schatzkin)

kewms

Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:42 am Post

Scrivener may not be the right tool for the job. Its strengths are in research and writing. While it can do final formatting, it is not the tool I would use if I were starting with a complete manuscript.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:20 pm Post

In what form do you have the manuscript to begin with? It would helpful to know. As Katherine says, depending on where you are starting from, it may be you just need to convert to mobi from there using whatever the latest tool is for that. That would surely be the most expeditious way, since presumably you have the thing laid out already in that form.

gr

p.s. Unfortunately, I know nothing of export to mobi/Kindle, so I can’t help further.
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat
"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." —Philip Larkin

dr
driver49

Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:32 pm Post

I believe I can trace the manuscript back to its original Word doc. The question is how much re-formatting / redesign would I have to do.

Have I over estimated Scrivener's ability perform this task?

--PS

kewms

Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:24 pm Post

You can certainly import a Word doc into Scrivener and Compile to Kindle format. But you can also use Amazon's own tools to convert directly from Word to mobi. So if you already have a complete manuscript and only need to do the format conversion, I'm not sure what Scrivener brings to the project.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

krastev
Platform: Windows

Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:03 pm Post

driver49 wrote:
Have I over estimated Scrivener's ability perform this task?

--PS

Yes.

Scrivener isn't a page layout software.
Krastev
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.12.0
Windows 7 & Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Testing Scrivener Beta for Windows