Problems with Margins/Ruler in Screenplay template

gi
gimox
Platform: Windows

Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:17 pm Post

This problem has been already pointed out during the previous Beta, here viewtopic.php?f=57&t=57393&p=292223&hilit=ruler+script#p292223

But it hasn't been fixed yet. I've attached a screenshot to show exactly what happens.

The problem exists only in the Screenplay mode and when compiled the pdf still looks very weird with all the text pushed to the left.

I tried to manually select everything and adjust the margins but it completely ruins the dialogues, and I don't know exactly what to do.

Thank you for your patience!
Attachments
ruler problem.jpg
ruler problem.jpg (116 KiB) Viewed 496 times

gi
gimox

Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:02 pm Post

I want to add that when going to Format > Scriptwriting > Script settings and then modifying left and right indents Scrivener just crashes when confirming my decision to modify the project.

th
thePhilosoraptor

Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:58 pm Post

Hi gimox,

The issue with Scrivener crashing when attempting to edit Script Settings is known and has been filed.

Can you please clarify what the issue is with your screenshot? It appears to have a half-inch margin on the left, which should combine with the default 1" compile margin to give you 1-1/2 inches on the left, which I believe is standard.

From the Scrivener Manual:

Ruler Conversions: When working with units in Scrivener, keep in mind that its ruler
starts at margin zero instead of paper zero. Since Scrivener is, by and large, not “aware”
of paper settings and page layout, it counts its ruler settings from the beginning of the
text on the left end of the page, not the beginning of the paper itself. This is in contrast
to many word processors, which start measuring at the paper left edge, and show the
print margin buffer in the display of the page.
Consequently, to convert most standard measurements to useful values here, you will
need to factor in the standard amount of print margin. For example, if the Scene Heading
is specified to begin at 1.5”, you will need to subtract 1” from that and input 0.5”
into Scrivener, since an additional inch will be added to the layout, once margins are
added to the page outside of Scrivener.

---

Also from the Manual:

The screenplay format that comes with Scrivener by default is based on a Hollywood
standard, but with half an inch added to the left indent of each element so that when you
print with a standard set-up of one inch margins, the left margin will actually start at oneand-
a-half inches, which is the standard to allow for three-hole binding. In other words
the end result will be accurate, even if the numbering by the editor’s ruler is slightly off.
Bryan Bender

gi
gimox

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:24 am Post

thePhilosoraptor wrote:Hi gimox,

The issue with Scrivener crashing when attempting to edit Script Settings is known and has been filed.

Can you please clarify what the issue is with your screenshot? It appears to have a half-inch margin on the left, which should combine with the default 1" compile margin to give you 1-1/2 inches on the left, which I believe is standard.

From the Scrivener Manual:

Ruler Conversions: When working with units in Scrivener, keep in mind that its ruler
starts at margin zero instead of paper zero. Since Scrivener is, by and large, not “aware”
of paper settings and page layout, it counts its ruler settings from the beginning of the
text on the left end of the page, not the beginning of the paper itself. This is in contrast
to many word processors, which start measuring at the paper left edge, and show the
print margin buffer in the display of the page.
Consequently, to convert most standard measurements to useful values here, you will
need to factor in the standard amount of print margin. For example, if the Scene Heading
is specified to begin at 1.5”, you will need to subtract 1” from that and input 0.5”
into Scrivener, since an additional inch will be added to the layout, once margins are
added to the page outside of Scrivener.

---

Also from the Manual:

The screenplay format that comes with Scrivener by default is based on a Hollywood
standard, but with half an inch added to the left indent of each element so that when you
print with a standard set-up of one inch margins, the left margin will actually start at oneand-
a-half inches, which is the standard to allow for three-hole binding. In other words
the end result will be accurate, even if the numbering by the editor’s ruler is slightly off.

Hello Philisoraptor, thank you for the answer.

What i mean is this:
example.jpg
example.jpg (87.29 KiB) Viewed 389 times

in this example you can see how a script is usually formatted, while Scrivener instead pushes all the text to the left. It appears like that also in PDF and printed on paper.

My question is how to make Scrivener script's margins look like in the example.

Thanks!

rw
rwfranz

Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:08 am Post

Hmm. This is a styles problem.

Per https://screenwriting.io/what-is-standard-screenplay-format/, speaker names should be 2.2 inches from margin, dialog 1" from margin, margin should be 1.5 from left (which means the Compile settings need to be adjusted; the default from Screenplay is 1 on all sides).

I'll go through how to adjust these.

Pick a dialog section. Adjust the indent to 1" (or whatever measurement you need there). If you have trouble getting it exact, use the ZOOM feature to make the ruler much much larger and easier to adjust the indent. (I zoomed in to 300%; my mouse is finicky).

From the Menu, Format -> Style ... -> New Style from Selection. Call this "Dialog".
At the bottom of that dialog box is a Box titled "Next Style." Open the down arrow and select "This style" which should be the first or second entry. Click that, then click OK.

Pick a Speaker name. Adjust the indent to 2.2" (or as above, whatever you need it to be). Again, Format -> Style ... -> New Style from Selection. Call this "Speaker Name" (or whatever you want; style names are completely up to you). Since in scripts, speakers usually say something, then down at the bottom, "Next style" should be "Dialog", which we just made (why we did it in this order).

That's how to create the styles for your elements. Whatever attributes need to be part of the text, put them in before you define the style. If you get it wrong, don't sweat it; you can "redefine the style from selection" in essentially the same way.

The page margin, evidently, should be 1.5" (per the reference above, which may or may not be accurate). We set that in Compile settings (NOT in the main editor).

File -> Compile (or Ctrl-Shift-E).
If you've already created a compile format, great; select it. If not, double-click on Script or Screenplay; it'll ask you if you want to make a duplicate and edit it, click "Duplicate and Edit."

On the first page that shows, go down to "Page Settings", click.
Uncheck the "A4" box unless you're using A4 paper. Click "Page Settings" and choose the paper you're using.

Click the Margins box and edit the left margin to 1.5" (if, in fact, that's what you want).
Click Save.
Hold Alt and click Save (the "Compile" should change to "Save" with the alt-key press).

Hope that helps?

gi
gimox

Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:39 am Post

Thank you so much for this very in depth answer, i'll try to fix it as soon as possibile and keep you updated.

What is weird to me is that with scrivener 1 i never had this problem, it styles the screenplay format perfectly, but at the same time i can't understand with kind of "bug" (?) this is.

Hope there will be an official fix from the developers!

ar
aronaguiar
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:43 pm Post

I have the same issue here.. would love to have that fixed. (come on guys :/)
and here the lines are Cut in the middle on each page break for PDF Compile..
Attachments
Screenshot_1.jpg
Screenshot_1.jpg (49.73 KiB) Viewed 129 times

gi
gimox

Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:47 pm Post

aronaguiar wrote:I have the same issue here.. would love to have that fixed. (come on guys :/)
and here the lines are Cut in the middle on each page break for PDF Compile..

Both this bug and the Margin one are kind of annoying, because it's literally impossible to format a script written on Scrivener for a serious enviroment.

Please, if possibile, let us know that at least you acknowlegded the bugs, so we can at least hope for the fix. Thank you very much!