Bug deleted all of my pictures

ci
cinderfallen
Platform: Windows

Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:34 am Post

I have a lot of inspiration photos copy/pasted onto the body of one of my folders. However, just a minute ago, after I added the latest picture, the photos had turned into an icon of a blank folder. I tried closing Scrivener and opening it, and all the pictures except for the last have disappeared! How do I access a previous save file to recover my lost media?

KelseyatHilltopBooks
Platform: Linux + Windows

Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:50 am Post

Before you do anything drastic, try opening the file on another computer. I just so happen to be looking through the forum now because of the same problem. BUT...

My main computer is a Windows 10 desktop, latest updates and all. I also have a laptop, same setup. I have directly copied my Scrivener settings from one computer to the other so that my interface and formats are all the same.

Every picture I put in my folders yesterday are invisible today on my desktop...but visible on my laptop. A cursory run through my brain for possibilities leads me to the graphics driver, but the desktop has an NVidia video card, and my laptop just so happens to have a very similar NVidia graphics card in it, slightly less-powerful, but each are running the very same driver versions.

So I'd guess that your pics are still there...just invisible. Try this...click somewhere in the general area where one of the pics would be. If your cursor disappears, I think the pic is there but not visible. I haven't been able to manipulate anything in those areas though (copy, paste, etc.).

ci
cinderfallen
Platform: Windows

Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:00 pm Post

KelseyatHilltopBooks wrote:Before you do anything drastic, try opening the file on another computer. I just so happen to be looking through the forum now because of the same problem. BUT...

My main computer is a Windows 10 desktop, latest updates and all. I also have a laptop, same setup. I have directly copied my Scrivener settings from one computer to the other so that my interface and formats are all the same.

Every picture I put in my folders yesterday are invisible today on my desktop...but visible on my laptop. A cursory run through my brain for possibilities leads me to the graphics driver, but the desktop has an NVidia video card, and my laptop just so happens to have a very similar NVidia graphics card in it, slightly less-powerful, but each are running the very same driver versions.

So I'd guess that your pics are still there...just invisible. Try this...click somewhere in the general area where one of the pics would be. If your cursor disappears, I think the pic is there but not visible. I haven't been able to manipulate anything in those areas though (copy, paste, etc.).

Checked back to this thread as this happened AGAIN. Did your error look like this?

https://i.imgur.com/fsv0KY9.png

I can right click on the bugged file and I tried to choose "save image as" but when I do, it shows an error.

"Image is invalid. Cannot save invalid image."

Picture here: https://i.imgur.com/2tovfKc.png

(URL instead as pics were showing as like 300x zoom in-line.)

I do have another computer with Scrivener installed but this is a fresh open. Not sure it's had a chance to back up yet? Last time, I went through some backup files to retrieve files but I'm not sure it'll work this time.

I went to Tools -> Options and went to look at my saved backups.

I chose save all backups, but I'm not seeing the option to choose different versions?? I had to do this twice before and I was able to use one of many previous backups. But now I'm only seeing the latest version with the bug in it. Could you or someone please help me find a way to choose a specific backup version?

This is what I'm seeing.

https://i.imgur.com/lE4S35y.png

Could someone from the team please address this?

KelseyatHilltopBooks
Platform: Linux + Windows

Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:51 pm Post

I'm sorry I haven't replied here earlier...I haven't been on here in some time.

Here is the substance of an email reply I received from someone named Vicki...

Hi there,

Apologies for the late reply—we've had an unusually high volume of support requests following the transition from eSellerate to Paddle and we're now working hard to get through the backlog.

I'm sorry you're having this trouble. Strictly speaking, the Scrivener support team isn't supporting the beta version yet - any bugs should be reported to the forum. However, I note that you say you copied the images into the project. Images need to be inserted into the text using Insert > Image from File or Image Linked to File. Pasting images into the text might appear to work, but they won't be properly inserted and can disappear.

If you already did insert the images correctly, there's probably a problem with one or more of the image files. Try removing the images from the project then adding them one at a time, closing and reopening the project between inserting each image. That will help you pinpoint which image is causing the trouble. Sometimes opening an image on your computer and saving in a different format will enable you to ad it to a project when it wouldn't work before.

I hope that helps. Thanks for using Scrivener.

All the best,
Vicki

I hope this helps you and again, sorry the reply took so long.

My best to you,
Kelsey at Hilltop Books