Why have all my project files suddenly disappeared?

Am
AmyMcD
Platform: Windows

Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:09 pm Post

I have just opened Scrivener and discovered that all of my project files have completely disappeared. Why?? They were there a few days ago and now POOF, gone. Are they on my hard drive somewhere? PLEASE can anyone HELP?

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:33 pm Post

Where are looking?
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Am
AmyMcD

Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:22 pm Post

Hi
I have finally found my files on my hard drive. They are all in text and rich text format in my documents folder. I guess this is where the Scrivener back up system sends them. I had no idea I wasn't supposed to save my files just within Scrivener. I have no idea why they were all kicked out of Scrivener suddenly. I am just glad to have found them!
Thanks, Amy :D :D :D

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:34 pm Post

Never store any of your documents inside the installation folder for any software; those folders can be completely wiped out when you update to a new version or an un-install (sometimes that's necessary if you're having issues).

I suggest you put all of your documents in the Documents folder, and make sure to back that folder up to some other external drive or service periodically, in case your computer crashes or hackers lock your system up and demand a ransom. I hear BackBlaze is a good online service for backing up your data.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

pa
panton41

Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:43 pm Post

On Windows 10 I save everything directly to OneDrive and let it sync across computers as well as live on Microsoft's servers. It's not a robust backup solution, but it's better than nothing and even the free level is good enough for most Scrivener users.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:46 pm Post

AmyMcD wrote:Hi
I have finally found my files on my hard drive. They are all in text and rich text format in my documents folder. I guess this is where the Scrivener back up system sends them.

No, it’s where you told Scrivener to save them.
When you say you couldn’t find them within Scrivener, were you then referring to the Recents.. list in Scrivener?
Also, if you find text and .rtf files you are looking inside the projects. Don’t touch that. Just open rhe .scrivx file.

The backups are hopefully somewhere else. Not together with your live projects.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS