Considering iOS for Scriv. How do YOU use it?

TromboneAl
Platform: Mac

Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:49 pm Post

I'm considering switching from my Android table to an iPad (partly because Scrivener supports it).

I doubt I'd do serious writing with an iPad (I have a Macbook for that), but I might want to use it to do some plotting, scene creation, note taking etc.

Do you use your iPad for things like that?

Can you use the corkboard on the iOS version?

Thanks.
Al Macy
Scrivener Version 3.1.2
iMac 21.5 Version 10.14.4

kewms
Platform: Mac

Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:03 pm Post

I primarily use iOS Scrivener for notetaking, and absolutely love it for that purpose.

There is a corkboard on the iPad. How useful it is probably depends on the size of your device. I have an iPad Mini and find it functional but limited; on an iPad Pro I'm sure it would be comparable to the laptop version.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:15 pm Post

I use my 12.9" iPad Pro on the go. It’s more portable than my laptop and I can read and edit anytime I have a few minutes free.
Bit I use the iPad for all sorts of things. Having Scrivener and my active projects with me is just a bonus.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Br
Brammy

Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:42 pm Post

I have a MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, and iPad Pro 12.9 with an attached keyboard. The iPad Pro is my preferred writing environment. I don't really notice that Scrivener on iOS is more of a companion app.

What I will say, though, is the modal sync via Dropbox took a little bit of getting used to. I also use Ulysses and got used to the sync just happening in the background. It took getting burned on a sync issue to make sure I went back to Scrivener's iOS list of my projects to ensure the sync happened again. It is now muscle memory for me.

Silverdragon

Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:19 pm Post

As I mentioned in another thread, I use iOS Scrivener primarily for actually putting words into a draft (via handwriting keyboard.) For other tasks, such as compilation, I use Scrivener Mac.

Not that I don't use my iPad for other things! I put my research, for example, into Evernote and that is more easily done on the iPad. As I'm drafting on the iPad, I'll keep Evernote, Safari, or iThoughts open in a screen split. I keep my handwritten journal on my iPad in Noteshelf 2. Things like maps or building plans for fictional places I draw in Noteshelf, whence they are automatically published to Evernote. My story structure is created in iThoughts (via handwriting) and I'll keep to-do lists for my projects in there, too.

Finally, if I'm working on my Mac, I can use my iPad as a second monitor via an app called Duet Display. This comes in handy in coffee shops. :D
So you know where I'm coming from:
  • I'm a user, not an L&L employee.
  • Mac Scrivener 3.1.2, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.14.5 (Mojave)
  • IOS Scrivener 1.1.5; iPhone 8 Plus, iPad 6th gen, iOS 12.3.1

Pe
Pen_and_Sword
Platform: iOS

Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:36 pm Post

TromboneAl wrote:I'm considering switching from my Android table to an iPad (partly because Scrivener supports it).

I doubt I'd do serious writing with an iPad (I have a Macbook for that), but I might want to use it to do some plotting, scene creation, note taking etc.

Do you use your iPad for things like that?

Can you use the corkboard on the iOS version?

Thanks.

Personally, I find the iOS version of Scrivener nicer to use than the desktop version.

It’s more streamlined, less complicated, but keeps the main elements that make the app great. I use the iPad Pro for all my writing – it’s a fantastic tool.