Looking for advice about using Scrivener for writing a scientific PhD thesis

el
elw2u16
Platform: Mac

Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:55 pm Post

Hi everyone,

I've used Scrivener compiling to MMD to LaTeX, then to PDF before, but abandoned it for pure LaTeX due to frustrations with Scrivener (mainly due to my own lack of knowlege and being too short of time to learn what I needed to know).

My PhD thesis isn't due for another 2 years so I have plenty of time to get to grips :) My old workflow was Scrivener and MMD -> Latex, using Mendeley outputting a BibTex file as a citations manager. I had quite a bit of pure LaTeX embedded in my text, but is seemed to work OK.

So, questions.

1) Is this still the best workflow? I need to include equations, figures with multiple plots, tables and references in my thesis. Pandoc looks interesting but I've never used it and not sure what it gives over MMD.

2) Has anyone got a good tutorial on how to set up Scrivener for this kind of workflow? The ones I used originally are out of date, and the videos I can find on Youtube are not relevant.

Thanks, just trying to make the (re)-learning curve as painless as possible.
Emma

nontroppo
Platform: Mac

Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:48 am Post

I personally think Pandoc adds substantial added value over MMD alone. In particular, direct support of DOCX (many supervisors and editors still use Word...) and full bibliographic support in any output format for a thesis is worth it alone. The MMD or Pandoc workflows are very similar, both work best using Scrivener Styles and the compiler, and post-processing can fully automate final document production. Scrivener's manual is a great example of a complex MMD > LaTeX workflow, you can download and read through the scrivener project to see how it all works, and my Pandoc workflow is detailed in my signature...