Double checking on Scriv 3/OS compatibility

Claudia

Fri May 17, 2019 6:57 pm Post

Somewhere recently I saw that Scriv 3 should probably not be installed on a machine older than 8 years. I think mine is 9 or 10 years. At the same time the specs on here say that it can go back to Sierra. I am running 10.12.6, professionally installed. So...? Should I roll back to Scriv 2.something or be happy with 3? Thanks. Got spooked by a disappearing file (which I found); don't want to push my luck.

mb
mbbntu
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri May 17, 2019 7:32 pm Post

I'm not a techie, but I'd say if it works, it works. But be sensible. Use a subscription backup service like Backblaze, which will keep a copy of your hard drive "off site". That means if your hard drive fails, or the computer stops, there is a copy in the cloud waiting for you. Don't rely on backups on the computer's hard drive, and don't fall into the trap of thinking that Dropbox is a good backup. It isn't. And use Time Machine for another level of backup. I keep three different backups made three different ways of my whole hard drive. The older a computer is, the closer it is to failing because of wear and tear.
You should judge people not by how close they get to the top, but by how far they have come from the bottom. Some people have a mountain to climb just to get to the place where others start out. (Me, 2010)

kewms
Platform: Mac

Sat May 18, 2019 3:08 am Post

Scrivener 3 is supported for use with Mac OS 10.12 and newer.

It's impossible to say what might have happened to your file without more information, but it wasn't a compatibility issue. Scrivener 3 will flat refuse to run on unsupported Mac OS versions.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team