Backup pathway

Claudia

Fri May 17, 2019 6:53 pm Post

It seems to me that I had to do a few jiggly things to make the backup go to the right place the last time I upgraded Scriv. Now that I have 3, the whole pathway doesn't seem to exist. Or at least, I can't find the backup with a search and the various files/directories have iterations in slightly different locations that don't quite lead to the right place, as per the the string in Finder that says where the backup is supposed to be located. I've forgotten what I had to do in the past...any suggestions, directions?

Screenshots below. I think I am using the default directory location in Scriv preferences. /Users/claudiaputnam/Library/Application Support/Scrivener/Backups. As you can see, there are some steps missing. I can do it another way, but there are other steps missing. I can click open backup file, but in the case when a large file disappeared, it didn't appear there. Though other files do. In any case, I would like to know how to GET to that file regardless.

Thanks!!
Attachments
directory.jpeg
directory.jpeg (112.15 KiB) Viewed 241 times

mb
mbbntu
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri May 17, 2019 7:23 pm Post

There are two Library folders on a Mac. One in the root and one in the Users folder. That graphic shows that you are looking in the wrong one. You need to go to the Users folder THEN Library.
You should judge people not by how close they get to the top, but by how far they have come from the bottom. Some people have a mountain to climb just to get to the place where others start out. (Me, 2010)

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri May 17, 2019 11:06 pm Post

It is generally much easier to get to your Scrivener support folder by using the main Scrivener ▸ Reveal Support Folder in Finder menu command. And of course, for finding your backups specifically, as they are configured in preferences, there is a button in the Backup preference pane that takes you right to wherever they are. That won’t help you’re looking for wherever they were in 2.x though, unless you’ve always used default settings I suppose.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Claudia

Mon May 27, 2019 6:56 pm Post

Wut? As in the Unix command line? No fair. Not something a regular user should EVER have to touch in a personal computer.

Claudia

Mon May 27, 2019 6:57 pm Post

One thing I noticed is that Scriv 2 is still installed and the project still seems to be running off that.

Claudia

Mon May 27, 2019 7:02 pm Post

This may explain why I was fairly certain I had already installed Scriv 3 last year or earlier this year... there are references to it here when I am asking about page break before in page view across in assembling a poetry ms (never did get a good solution to that, alas... 2 was better for poetry MSS). Yet, I recently got a message that I should download 3 again. Maybe I'd only downloaded the beta before, dunno.

mb
mbbntu
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon May 27, 2019 10:32 pm Post

Claudia wrote:Wut? As in the Unix command line? No fair. Not something a regular user should EVER have to touch in a personal computer.

Eh? Who mentioned the Command Line? Certainly not me. This is the correct Library:

Screenshot 2019-05-27 23.23.37 copy.png
Screenshot 2019-05-27 23.23.37 copy.png (621.3 KiB) Viewed 138 times
You should judge people not by how close they get to the top, but by how far they have come from the bottom. Some people have a mountain to climb just to get to the place where others start out. (Me, 2010)