Alternate views for Collections

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:23 am Post

I think maybe you’re thinking of exclusivity in a one-track sense, but it doesn’t have to be that way. I.e. just because a Label assignment is an exclusive statement made about the item it is assigned to, does not mean that the list of labels itself need be dedicated to solely one function.

You might have a batch of labels you use for Research and a batch you use for the Draft. The research batch has a more topical focus, but the draft batch is more status oriented. Both groups of binder items benefit from the elevated visibility of the Label, and as well that exclusive assignment. But you use a label to mark one item “Apples” and another “Rewrite”.

So long as you never have to rewrite your research files, or topically mark your draft times, it’s more like having two lists of labels than one.

Whether you need that, I do not know, the example was provided more as food for thought than a suggestion.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

jp
jprint
Platform: Mac

Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:57 pm Post

Thank you again for your help with all of this. I'm still trying to grasp the various different organizational ways that the metadata can be used... Is there any kind of comparative chart? Can't remember seeing on in the manual...

Just out of curiosity... If you were me, and you had around a dozen sources and 20 - 30 Keywords, how would you put together an organizational taxonomy with Scrivner's metadata tools?

Thanks!

AmberV

Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:29 pm Post

There isn’t a chart per se, but §10.4.1, Metadata Types, in the user manual, goes over the different available types, their distinguishing characteristics and individual pros and cons.

If all I had to track were the two things you mention, and working under the presumption that all snippets only have one source but may have many topics, I’d use the label for sources and keywords for topics.
Ioa Petra'ka

jp
jprint

Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:03 am Post

AmberV wrote:You would have to compile to get a result like that. Have a look in the Help menu, where the list of placeholder tags is documented. Meta-data like the Label are listed under “Document Variables”. These are codes that can be added to your Formatting compile option pane, for the type of document that would print these sections. The most useful way of doing that is in the “Section Layout…” button. For example you can put " (<$label>)" into the suffix field, to have it printed after the title itself (or even without a title, though in that case you might just want the label but itself). You can style the prefix/suffix fields separately, back in the Formatting mock editor:

Hi,
How can one set up Compile so that the Scrivner document will organize text sections by keywords? And is there a way for one to set up the Compile settings so that the keywords become the titles for those sections?

Thanks!

AmberV

Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:52 am Post

Compile does not ever modify the contents of the binder, or their ordering. You would need to arrange things that way yourself, probably with a Collection and then compiling using that as your source (instead of Draft). I can say that sorting by keywords is a bit touch and go though, unless every item only has one keyword assigned. It gets more complicated when some have two, others have ten, etc.

As for printing the keyword as the title, the post you quoted is how you would do that—it uses labels for the example, but you could use the keyword placeholder instead.
Ioa Petra'ka

jp
jprint

Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:25 am Post

AmberV wrote:There isn’t a chart per se, but §10.4.1, Metadata Types, in the user manual, goes over the different available types, their distinguishing characteristics and individual pros and cons.

If all I had to track were the two things you mention, and working under the presumption that all snippets only have one source but may have many topics, I’d use the label for sources and keywords for topics.

I meant to thank you very much for this... I greatly appreciate your help.

jp
jprint

Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:32 am Post

AmberV wrote:Compile does not ever modify the contents of the binder, or their ordering. You would need to arrange things that way yourself, probably with a Collection and then compiling using that as your source (instead of Draft). I can say that sorting by keywords is a bit touch and go though, unless every item only has one keyword assigned. It gets more complicated when some have two, others have ten, etc.

Ok, thanks. So...it sort of feels like I do, in fact, need to create Collections after all -- that is, if I want to create an output in which I have documents organized by Keyword sections, correct?

AmberV wrote:As for printing the keyword as the title, the post you quoted is how you would do that—it uses labels for the example, but you could use the keyword placeholder instead.

Actually, I really want to save these documents to a sharable file (e.g., Word / .docx), not print them.

Putting that aside, can you walk me through how to use the keyword placeholder with the aforementioned set up? Sorry -- I might b missing something in the 2.0 set up.

Thanks again!

jp
jprint

Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:42 am Post

Also, Is there a way to just Compile all of the Collections? Seems like I can only do one at a time...

AmberV

Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:18 pm Post

Ok, thanks. So…it sort of feels like I do, in fact, need to create Collections after all – that is, if I want to create an output in which I have documents organized by Keyword sections, correct?

Originally, I believe you were creating one collection for each and every keyword and running into issues with having so many of them. That is why I suggested that you could simply use the Keywords panel to call up a list whenever you wanted, rather than storing lists of lists.

That is different from having one big collection list organised by whatever axis you prefer—be it keywords or modification date, and then using that to compile with.

Also, Is there a way to just Compile all of the Collections? Seems like I can only do one at a time…

No, that’s why you would have one big list of items sorted by whatever you want.

Putting that aside, can you walk me through how to use the keyword placeholder with the aforementioned set up? Sorry – I might b missing something in the 2.0 set up.

It’s pretty much the same thing you did before. The only thing different from the previous setup is that you would disable the Title checkbox (I think?), and then edit the prefix/suffix to use the <$keyword> placeholder instead of the label.

One other thing of note, since you’ll be using a collection to compile, everything will be on “level 1”.

Something else to consider, if you don’t need to print any actual content and are just wanting to print metadata, is §25.4, Exporting Meta-Data to a Spreadsheet, pg. 426 in the user manual. It might be easier to do what you want in Excel, I mean to say.
Ioa Petra'ka