IPad Pro 2018 support

Li
LisaT
Platform: Mac

Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:12 pm Post

I don't post very often, but I've been using Scrivener on both the Mac and iOS for quite some years. I've just got a new 11' iPad Pro and while it's a lovely device, I must confess I'm absolutely hating the home bar/indicator at the moment, and particuarly in apps such as Scrivener where it's distractingly obvious.

I know there's a workaround with Guided Access, but this locks you into one app which isn't practical when writing--at least for me. I too often have to pause to pull up Safari, or chase a reference elsewhere. I also dislike the black bar along the bottom where the home bar lives, but I'm less worried about that as I assume it will be rectified when (please make it 'when' and not 'if') Scrivener is updated to support the iPP 11's aspect ratio.

As for the home bar itself, I wouldn't mind it so much if the contrast was not so obnoxious in Scrivener (and Ulysses, for that matter). Art apps such as Procreate etc deal with the home bar by reducing the opacity so it's still visible, but not intrusive. Other apps allow for it to be hidden altogether (Apple's Books does so, for example, and so does Safari's Reader Mode). It can still be invoked/opacified with a touch, but the overall experience becomes comparable to the traditional iPad experience--fullscreen, with no chrome distractions.

It would be amazing if this could be implemented, especially as the home bar (love it or hate it) seems here to stay.

Br
Brammy
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:19 pm Post

AmberV wrote:
We’ve had to go a little longer between updates this time around for various reasons, all good ones, and some unfortunate—

It would be nice if we could get some sort of an update with a road map -- even tentative. The long time between update cycles, and no real word on what is planned, is a concern I have with Scrivener on iOS.

Pe
Pen_and_Sword
Platform: iOS

Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:30 pm Post

AmberV wrote:Are you saying you would never want to see the time, battery and other status while in Scrivener? I don't know if this would be a thing that is easily made optional, or as a condition of how the software is used. We don't have a "full screen" implementation in the sense that lunk describes, like games do that take over the entire display. We use the basic system framework for this stuff, which doesn't ever hide the upper header bar. So if you're asking for something beyond that, it's probably a whole lot more work than just a checkbox somewhere in Xcode.

Before the new iPads, Scrivener made full use of the iPad Pro screen. When you wrote in full screen mode, it blocked out the clock and other information for a “distraction free” environment. Presumably it still does this for the older generation models.

It should be fairly easy to maintain that when it gets the screen size update.

Personally, I think it’s a really nice feature when a writing app shows nothing but the “page” and this was something I liked about Scrivener on iOS before the new models.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:35 am Post

When you wrote in full screen mode, it blocked out the clock and other information for a “distraction free” environment. Presumably it still does this for the older generation models.

Yeah, in double-checking that on my iPad Pro (an older model), it does hide the status bar at the top of the screen, when tapping the button to hide the binder. Hopefully that will be an easy thing to reinstate.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles