Test Scrivener's New .docx Converters

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Thu May 09, 2019 1:14 pm Post

nontroppo wrote:OK makes sense! Exiftool doesn't show what the JPEG compression is either, and what I gleaned online is this is not part of the JFIF spec to store this info at all. It probably doesn't matter too much anyway as JPEG is lossy, so whenever a 75% JPEG is saved again at 75%, it will always gradually become worse AFAIK.

That's a good point. What's frustrating, though, is that if you save freshly-created JPG data in Cocoa with no compression, it ends up bigger - a 60kb file altered only to have its dpi changed becomes 120kb. Otherwise I could save without compression, but as it is I have to put an option in the Preferences.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

jp
jpkell

Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:42 pm Post

Hi Keith,

I am a longtime Scrivener user, who is now writing a scholarly book with it. The book has many equations and symbols, for which I used MathType integrated with Scrivener. But I have encountered a huge problem that I think your new converters could help with (and from reading the forums, I'm not the only one who could use this).

When one's manuscript contains equations and symbols, it turns out that publishers want either a LaTex document or a Word document with equations and symbols editable with Word's Equation Editor. But when one compiles a Scrivener document that includes MathType equations and symbols to docx, the equations and symbols become images that are not editable with Equation Editor.

After spending a day yesterday trying to figure out a workaround, the best I can think of is to (re)write the book in Markdown with Scrivener, inserting where necessary the LaTex equation/symbol code that I can copy from MathType. I confirmed that I can use pandoc to convert a markdown file containing LaTex equation code to a docx file containing an equation that is editable in Word's Equation Editor. So I know it's possible to convert the LaTex equation syntax to Word's Equation Editor. What would be AMAZING-AND-I-WOULD-BE-FOREVER-GRATEFUL is if I could write in Scrivener as usual, with all of Scrivener's usual rich text, but instead of inserting MathType equations as images, I would insert them as LaTex code, and then your tools would use Pandoc (or equivalent) to render the equations as editable with Equation Editor when compiling to docx from within Scrivener.

Is there *any chance* at all this could be included in your new docx converter tools?? Thanks!

nontroppo

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:55 am Post

@KB — I think I've found a bug with Style export. Please download the attached Project from this post: viewtopic.php?p=257245#p257245

With the Aspose converter, I get a full outline with Headings 1–3 (as in the screenshot in that post). But with the new converter only the first "Heading 1" Part is exported, the other parts are just "Normal" styles, thus no outlines:

Screenshot 2019-06-24 at 17.48.27_SMALL.png
Screenshot 2019-06-24 at 17.48.27_SMALL.png (24.5 KiB) Viewed 875 times

nontroppo

Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:42 am Post

FYI: the Heading 1 export bug detailed in the previous post persists in V3.1.3…

KB
Site Admin

Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:12 pm Post

nontroppo wrote:FYI: the Heading 1 export bug detailed in the previous post persists in V3.1.3…

Works fine for me. I downloaded and exported your project using my converters in 3.1.3, and I see the exact outline from your screenshot. I've attached the exported Word file.
Attachments
Heading Test.zip
(7.8 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

KB
Site Admin

Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:19 pm Post

jpkell wrote:Hi Keith,

I am a longtime Scrivener user, who is now writing a scholarly book with it. The book has many equations and symbols, for which I used MathType integrated with Scrivener. But I have encountered a huge problem that I think your new converters could help with (and from reading the forums, I'm not the only one who could use this).

When one's manuscript contains equations and symbols, it turns out that publishers want either a LaTex document or a Word document with equations and symbols editable with Word's Equation Editor. But when one compiles a Scrivener document that includes MathType equations and symbols to docx, the equations and symbols become images that are not editable with Equation Editor.

After spending a day yesterday trying to figure out a workaround, the best I can think of is to (re)write the book in Markdown with Scrivener, inserting where necessary the LaTex equation/symbol code that I can copy from MathType. I confirmed that I can use pandoc to convert a markdown file containing LaTex equation code to a docx file containing an equation that is editable in Word's Equation Editor. So I know it's possible to convert the LaTex equation syntax to Word's Equation Editor. What would be AMAZING-AND-I-WOULD-BE-FOREVER-GRATEFUL is if I could write in Scrivener as usual, with all of Scrivener's usual rich text, but instead of inserting MathType equations as images, I would insert them as LaTex code, and then your tools would use Pandoc (or equivalent) to render the equations as editable with Equation Editor when compiling to docx from within Scrivener.

Is there *any chance* at all this could be included in your new docx converter tools?? Thanks!

I don't really see how this would be very feasible, I'm afraid (it requires a Pandoc install for a start, and involves mixing up different types of export). MathType equations contain MathML, but there's no easy way of converting MathML to the OMML that Docx files use.

All the best,
Keith

nontroppo

Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:22 am Post

KB wrote:Works fine for me. I downloaded and exported your project using my converters in 3.1.3, and I see the exact outline from your screenshot. I've attached the exported Word file.

Hi KB, my screenshot in this thread shows the bug, the screenshot in the other thread shows how it should compile :) : what you should see in Word is THREE Level 1 headings « Part One » « Part Two » « Part Three » with chapters as level two, but your Word doc shows only the first « Part One » Level 1 heading present (well it does in my Word V16.26), if you go to « Part Two » text in Word you'll see it is a normal style, explaining why it doesn't make it to the outline.

Here is the Outline in Scrivener:
Screenshot 2019-07-02 at 09.36.52.png
Screenshot 2019-07-02 at 09.36.52.png (49.98 KiB) Viewed 481 times

Here is a screenshot of what it is supposed to look like in Word:
Screenshot 2019-07-02 at 09.33.39_SMALL.png
Screenshot 2019-07-02 at 09.33.39_SMALL.png (24.74 KiB) Viewed 483 times

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:44 pm Post

The following tech support thread is about a problem someone had with getting footers to work and which was resolved by turning ON enhanced converters. It might point to a kink in the in-house converters, so just dropping a note here in case.

https://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57603

gr
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat
"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." —Philip Larkin

rayl

Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:30 pm Post

Footnotes and live links to email addresses seem to be lost if a .docx file is imported using the new converters, but they are retained when using the Aspose converters.

However, footnotes written in Scrivener and exported using the new converters seem to be fine.

(Using Scrivener 3.1.3 on macOS 10.14.5)

Ray

rayl

Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:18 pm Post

Further to this, after experimenting with two more .docx files.

Embedded graphics objects - mostly tables and graphs pasted from Excel into Word- are not imported using the new converter, but are imported using the Aspose converter. This applies to all three files.

Footnotes are imported using the new converter for just one of the three .docx files.

Each file is the result of a collaboration, so some parts were originally drafted in Scrivener, but subsequently edited, including inserting the graphics objects, in Word for Mac and Word for Windows.

All best

Ray

KB
Site Admin

Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:36 pm Post

Please post sample .docx files so that I can test these issues.
Thanks,
Keith

rayl

Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:25 pm Post

Hi Keith

Herewith a zip file with 3 documents:

"Recent Work" is a short document created using Word for Mac 2011, with a few footnotes and embedded (by copy/paste) spreadsheet and chart. This imports perfectly with the new converters.

"RP paper extract" is a few pages from a collaboratively authored academic paper, with footnotes and embedded graphics, substantially drafted by my colleague using Word for Windows. The footnotes and graphics do not import with the new converter but are OK using the Aspose converter.

All best

Ray

Converteg.zip
(272.34 KiB) Downloaded 3 times