Plot grid?

ng
ngadiwal
Platform: Windows

Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:49 am Post

I would love to see some kind of grid organization for the corkboard, where we could add column and row labels, and use the index cards on their own without the link to documents. I know Dabble has a similar feature, which I found really useful, and I haven't figured out a good way to replicate it in Scrivener as of yet, short of creating a separate folder of blank documents and putting it in corkboard mode.

kewms
Platform: Mac

Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:58 am Post

The index card - document link is a fundamental aspect of Scrivener's design. It is unlikely to change. -- Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:10 am Post

In terms of grid and organization, I wonder if the swimlane mode of the corkboard might be pressed into service to do some of what you were looking for.
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat
"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." —Philip Larkin

lunk

Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:13 am Post

I use a separate app for this: Cardflow

It handles several types of cards and they can be linked, organized, drawn on, written on, have images, etc. Like a free-form storyboard or sticky notes app.

http://www.qrayon.com/home/Cardflow/
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:02 pm Post

Lunk, thanks for recommending Cardflow, it looks pretty slick!
I’m just a customer.

krastev

Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:51 am Post

Form the signature of the OP, it looks like, he is on Windows, so Cardflow is no go...
Krastev
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.12.0
Windows 7 & Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Testing Scrivener Beta for Windows

lunk

Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:02 am Post

A Windows user might own an iPad...
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

JJ
JJSlote

Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:37 pm Post

Well I'm happy to report that we can accomplish this in a Scrivener(W) pane right now by running some JavaScript in the Qt Web Engine that Scriv uses to display HTML files. I've had a Kanban script running in the Beta since last summer and it absolutely rocks. Just an extraordinarily writers' tool for those who prefer a grid topology to the leaf topology used in mind maps.

Here's an example of how a writer might use Kanban to organize his thoughts: some notes on this very topic for a forum post I never bothered to put up. The Kanban columns scroll independently, and of course the cells stretch to fit long paragraphs and can be dragged anywhere in the grid.
kanbanview4.png
kanbanview4.png (177.13 KiB) Viewed 1855 times

The script is My Personal Kanban by Greg Gigon. I'd recommend this video as an intro:

https://vimeo.com/75392672

Download at: https://greggigon.github.io/my-personal-kanban/ .

Now some cautions. My Personal Kanban uses your web browser's local storage. That means that the grids you create are not actually retained within your project. Rather, you'll get one set of grids in Scrivener (any project), another set in Firefox, another set in Chrome, etc. Without some auxiliary method of saving the grid content you create, you're likely to lose it. My Personal Kanban offers a way to Export your grids to a JSON format, but the Scrivener Beta, at the moment, has no way to save or download the JSON file.

I'd love to see a Kanban view of Collections, and a Kanban document capability, integrated into Scrivener with proper binder autosaves. Remember that this is cross platform code as you consider the business case. I'd recommend the Kanban view in JQWidgets as a starting point for developers, and My Personal Kanban for tinkerers, since the latter has a rudimentary storage mechanism already built in.

Rgds - Jerome

ng
ngadiwal

Wed May 01, 2019 3:51 pm Post

Thanks! Also, Wavemaker has this feature, and it's free--so I've been using that to do any plotting and then continuing to do the writing in Scrivener. If anyone else has this need, it's a great option.

JJ
JJSlote

Wed May 01, 2019 7:44 pm Post

ngadiwal wrote:Thanks! Also, Wavemaker has this feature, and it's free--so I've been using that to do any plotting and then continuing to do the writing in Scrivener. If anyone else has this need, it's a great option.

Wow ng, Wavemaker is an incredibly impressive online script! Like MPK, it stores the user's data in the browser's Local Storage. And we can run it right within Scrivener's web browser environment, at least in the Windows Beta.

So I guess I have to ask: does the web browser environment in Scriv for Mac enable users to save and download from sites visited? If so, we'll get that capability in Windows at some point, and more easily meld online scripts like these into our Scrivener-centered writing process.

Cheers -- Jerome

kewms
Platform: Mac

Wed May 01, 2019 7:55 pm Post

I can't speak to the Windows version, current or future. But the Mac Scrivener web display tools are fairly basic, and complex scripts are a leading cause of misbehavior. I would not recommend attempting to import a tool like this into your project without extensive testing.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu May 02, 2019 1:46 pm Post

Back to the original request... why not just create a folder in your project and start adding items to a free-form cork board view of the folder? Arrange them however you like, and don't attempt to view or add text to the associated empty/non-existent documents. It's not like you're taking up extra space for empty documents (they aren't actually written to your hard drive until you add text), and if you're always viewing that folder as a free form cork board, then you never have to see them.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

JJ
JJSlote

Thu May 02, 2019 7:40 pm Post

rdale wrote:Back to the original request... why not just create a folder in your project and start adding items to a free-form cork board view of the folder? Arrange them however you like...
The OP did acknowledge that option, and it's what I thought I wanted as well, until the free-form corkboard actually emerged in the Windows Beta. All that rearranging in free-form becomes a nuisance. Thoughts flow more easily in kanban where the cards snap into columns and size themselves to their contents, the adjacent cards part the waters for insertions, and the columns scroll independently.

Rgds - Jerome

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri May 03, 2019 1:16 pm Post

JJSlote wrote:
rdale wrote:Back to the original request... why not just create a folder in your project and start adding items to a free-form cork board view of the folder? Arrange them however you like...
The OP did acknowledge that option, and it's what I thought I wanted as well, until the free-form corkboard actually emerged in the Windows Beta. All that rearranging in free-form becomes a nuisance. Thoughts flow more easily in kanban where the cards snap into columns and size themselves to their contents, the adjacent cards part the waters for insertions, and the columns scroll independently.

Rgds - Jerome

If you want to stick to Scrivener, there's something in v3 that I don't think the older Scriveners could do: Arrange multiple containers on a cork board into rows or columns. CTRL-click on two or more containers, and set the editor view mode to cork board. Then at the bottom of the editor, there are a couple of options on how to arrange them, including into columns. Because it's not free-form, you can move cards from one column (container) to another, and even in between two existing cards, and everything will rearrange itself.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

JJ
JJSlote

Sat May 04, 2019 12:38 am Post

rdale wrote:Arrange multiple containers on a cork board into rows or columns. CTRL-click on two or more containers, and set the editor view mode to cork board. Then at the bottom of the editor, there are a couple of options on how to arrange them, including into columns. Because it's not free-form, you can move cards from one column (container) to another, and even in between two existing cards, and everything will rearrange itself.

Thanks, rdale; yes, it's in the Windows Beta and it's terrific. I had no idea this was part of Scrivener. It's like a kanban with ad-hoc columns. So you can juxtapose at will: characters, events, principles. And the juxtaposition remains accessible via the Back button even after you've moved on from the multi-select. The corkboard really lives up to its promise with this technique. A tip of the hat to Team L&L :D

Cheers -- Jerome