Linguist Focus on Windows version

fe
felippemed
Platform: Windows

Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:25 am Post

Hello guys.

It would be fascinating to have Mac's Linguist Focus on our Windows Beta. Microsoft Edge reading mode already offers something alike. However, we cannot edit anything from our text.

Please guys, consider bringing this awesome feature to your PC users.

Abs! :D

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:07 pm Post

Unfortunately, this feature is unlikely to come to the Windows version any time soon, because the technology upon which it is built is Mac-only. Essentially there is a Mac feature that allows apps to ask for all the verbs, adverbs, nouns or whatever in a piece of text, which means that my Mac code just has to invoke that. There is no such technology available in the Windows frameworks we use, meaning we have no way of doing it short of trying to write a language analysis engine ourselves, which is a huge task.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

fe
felippemed

Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:44 am Post

KB wrote:Unfortunately, this feature is unlikely to come to the Windows version any time soon, because the technology upon which it is built is Mac-only. Essentially there is a Mac feature that allows apps to ask for all the verbs, adverbs, nouns or whatever in a piece of text, so my Mac code just has to invoke that. There is no such technology available in the Windows frameworks we use, meaning we have no way of doing it short of trying to write a language analysis engine ourselves, which is a huge task.

All the best,
Keith

Thanks for your thorough answer. I think I see what you mean that Mac featured grammatical differentiation. However, Microsoft implemented Grammar Tools to its language, meaning Scrivener could use the same technology in its Windows version.

The Windows 10 April 2018 Update added Grammar Tools

Here is the official website showing it.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/07/09/windows-10-tip-get-more-out-of-reading-online-with-grammar-tools-in-microsoft-edge/.

If it is inaccessible to Scrivener for any reason, would there be a palliative solution such as cloud analysis?

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:30 am Post

The Windows 10 April 2018 Update added Grammar Tools support that allow you to break words into syllables and highlight parts of speed, such as nouns, verbs and adjectives.

Evidently it did not get used.

At any rate, I don’t see where this article indicates it was added to “the language”. It was added to Edge a year ago, a web browser. Even if it was added to some system library somewhere, or a development toolkit they sell, that doesn’t necessarily mean we can do anything with it, since we don’t use Microsoft tools. They have to make it something all programmers can tap into, as a system service, not a language level tool.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

fe
felippemed

Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:37 pm Post

AmberV wrote:
The Windows 10 April 2018 Update added Grammar Tools support that allows you to break words into syllables and highlight parts of speed, such as nouns, verbs and adjectives.

Evidently, it did not get used.

At any rate, I don’t see where this article indicates it was added to “the language”. It was added to Edge a year ago, a web browser. Even if it was added to some system library somewhere, or a development toolkit they sell, that doesn’t necessarily mean we can do anything with it, since we don’t use Microsoft tools. They have to make it something all programmers can tap into, as a system service, not a language level tool.

Hello,

My post replied to
this feature is unlikely to come to the Windows version anytime soon, because the technology upon which it is built is Mac-only.

Neither am a web developer nor a programmer, but I search before I post.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/dev-guide/browser-features/reading-view

I read here that Edge renders data from ebooks, PDFs and other documents before analysing them. Isn't it what Mac does?

Then I went to Microsoft AI and found this:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/azure/cognitive-services/linguisticanalysisapi/sentences-and-tokens

There is a Machine Learning from Microsoft that does what I suggest. Perhaps, it is not a matter of technology, but of integration with something is already out there,

I also found Hemingway Desktop version for Windows.

http://www.hemingwayapp.com/desktop.html

I am not a programmer; I am an enthusiast of Scrivener and wish it a long and prosperous life. As I move towards more complex writing pieces, this feature would help a lot. Beyond that, can't the Beta testes build a dictionary with nouns, adverbs, verbs, so on?