Scapple Install Destroys the Path in Windows 10 Settings, please fix

ka
karlm
Platform: Windows

Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:10 pm Post

Scapple Install Destroys the Path in Windows 10 Settings (Win 10 Pro + latest updates)

It replaces the WHOLE path with:

;C:\Program Files (x86)\Scapple

instead of just appending that to end of path. So I just lost all my path and several programs stopped working.

So deletes whole path. It did not do this before. Needs updating with latest Win10Pro settings.

Please fix.

It should basically:
set PATH=%PATH%;C:\Program Files (x86)\Scapple

Correctly, which it did before but not any more.

1) IF YOU type
set
at a cmd dosbox, you will get the whole of old path

2) But if you go into environment variables, then path edit or view you see it has been replaced by:
;C:\Program Files (x86)\Scapple
press windows key and type path to go into: edit environment variable system settings

3) The actual function of the old path is lost though and merely reflects scapple's path

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:44 pm Post

Are you positive the PATH damage came from Scrivener? I've been running all the betas and have not noticed this. Here's from my system with Beta 12 x64:

ScrivPath.JPG
ScrivPath.JPG (91.93 KiB) Viewed 2728 times
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

ka
karlm
Platform: Windows

Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:55 pm Post

1) Several programs were working just before install.

2) They stopped functioning just after install, due to path problems. Which is why checked both the path in command line and Windows Enviro var panels. Hence found the bug. Probably caused wrt to latest Win10pro updates.

3) Even if you are not a coder for decades, as I am, and a little tech savvy, you can see the whole path being replaced in the environmental settings panel being replaced by Scapple's path ONLY tells it all.

4) Also preceded by the semicolon which shows it was an append replacing the whole.

5) Not to mention all other paths stopped functioning just after install by testing from command line terminal.

6) I don't see many versions of Scapple to install and authorize, it is just the same old file and version.

7) This is a bug report for Scapple, not Scrivener.

8 ) Finally, by saying it never happened to me so dismissing it, would mean billions of people reporting bugs or feedback to devs over decades should not have done so because it did not happen to others.

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:14 pm Post

karlm wrote:This is a bug report for Scapple, not Scrivener.

So it is. Apologies for the wasted time.

(As to your point 8, "this didn't happen here" is often very useful in troubleshooting because it helps define a set of data so you can derive the commonalities and figure out where the actual bug is.")
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot