[LH2754] - unable to minimize windows too large for screen

Tr
Treon
Platform: Windows

Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:55 am Post

I'm using Scrivener on a laptop, and I use either the laptop monitor or connect to a large screen. Both screens have different resolutions. With the laptop monitor, some windows are too big for the screen (for example, the 'options', screen), but I can't minimize it or move it up, I can only move it down.

th
thePhilosoraptor

Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:19 pm Post

Hello! By 'move it up' do you mean change the position of the window on your desktop? Or make the window smaller by raising the bottom bar?

Thank you!
Bryan Bender

mi
michaeljdrexler

Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:25 pm Post

thePhilosoraptor wrote:Hello! By 'move it up' do you mean change the position of the window on your desktop? Or make the window smaller by raising the bottom bar?

Thank you!

I have the same problem. I can't resize the window or push the window toward the top of the screen. The result is that I can't see or access the "OK" or "Cancel" buttons at the bottom. Short solution is to auto-hide the taskbar. Less than ideal.

mk
mkk

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:47 pm Post

Hi,
same problem here with Scrievener set to high DPI mode. I use a laptop with a 1920x1080 resolution and the current Scrivener beta and I can't properly reach OK, Cancel or Apply in the options panel.

The 'low dpi' toolbar icons seem imho a bit too small for 1920x1080 and the 'high dpi' ones a teensy bit too big.

I installed the beta yesterday and I love it. I have been using Scrivener (win) for five years for academic research.

Cheers,
mkk

Ra
Rand Brittain
Platform: Win + iOS

Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:48 pm Post

This also happens to me on a 1920x1080 monitor when I have the desktop scaled up (and I can't imagine using Windows without scaling it up). The options window is too tall to click Okay, and trying to resize it causes it to vanish altogether. I'm having to navigate by keyboard to Okay blindly to use the options at all.

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:49 pm Post

What computer hardware are you using? We've seen a particular issue of Scrivener scaling incorrectly on ZenBooks, causing everything to just be too large as you're describing. Unfortunately this seems to be a bug with the framework Scrivener is built on and we haven't so far found a way to work around it--switching off "Enable High DPI mode" in Options > General may help, but will affect scaling in other ways, so isn't a perfect solution, as mkk noted.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

mk
mkk

Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:36 pm Post

I'm using a Zenbook UX305LA.
Cheers,
mkk

Ra
Rand Brittain
Platform: Win + iOS

Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:24 pm Post

I'm using a desktop I built myself, and a Surface Pro 3, which both have the same issue.

ju
juliaw
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:50 am Post

I'm having this issue as well. l have just bought a Surface Pro and am in the process of setting everything up on it. Every other program /app I have installed has been absolutely fine until I tried installing the Scrivener beta. I cannot find anyway of resizing or moving the window. I have tried reducing the size of all text, icons etc in the Windows settings, but that doesn't help. Edit : I have also tried disabling the scaling option as mentioned above, which just made the icons blurry without reducing the size of the text or the window..... Please find a fix for this, as one of the main reasons for buying this was for using Scrivener and as it stands the program is unusable...

hj
hjmiii

Fri May 17, 2019 4:53 pm Post

Re-upping this thread since I just encountered this on a Lenovo Yoga book. The screen scaling was set to 150% on a 10inch 1080 screen, and the dialog window to start/open a new project was unusable with the buttons off the bottom of the display.

I know you said it's a flaw in the framework you're using, and this may be a longer-term problem until that's addressed, but I just wanted to bring attention back to it.

tiho_d
Platform: Linux + Windows

Fri May 17, 2019 7:32 pm Post

150% scaling at 1080px height means ~540px scaled screen height. Obviously this height is too small for Scrivener. We design our desktop GUIs for at least 1080px screens at 100% scaling. Please, consider using 100% OS scaling and use the Scrivener editor zooming features. I am afraid Scrivener is a Desktop application and is not optimized for Tablet size PCs.

bd
bdobdo

Sat May 18, 2019 7:53 am Post

Adding perhaps a separate issue to this thread since they could very well be related...
The new beta v 17 has the same bug/issue that v15 had: it opens compile window in the background so it's inaccessible. I must press escape to get back to clicking anything on the main screen.

Menu - windows - bring all to front doesn't work.
Partial solution: create a new Scrivener file - import old one. But: how do you import custom metadata? Keywords labels status ...?

Using Windows 10, laptop + external monitor. But it doesn't work when I detach the external monitor either.