Change assignment of keyboard shortcuts?

Is it possible to change a shortcut that is ‘baked in’? Only being a very occasional script writer, I would like to use the cmd-8 ‘Script’ shortcut for something else.

On Mac, you can change the kbd shortcut for any menu item for most any app (Scriv included) in Apple > Sys Prefs > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > App Shortcuts.

gr

Thanks for that advice. I’ve got my Cmd-K shortcut for Link… working, but I need to assign a new shortcut for Split.

This goes through a drop-down, ie:

Split
at Selection

How do you do that, in setting a new keyboard preference?
‘Split’ doesn’t work
‘Split at Selection’ doesn’t work

You have to use the actual text of the submenu item verbatim which is (obviously you don’t include the quotation marks):

“at Selection”

or

“with Selection as Title”.

(ie you don’t include any of the menu path at all.)

Hope this helps.

[EDITED — to correct typo as per GR’s post below. Thanks GR – could have sworn I’d typed it properly. Heigh-ho…]

Or, rather, ‘at Selection’.

Yay! It works. Thank you, all

I would also like to change command-K to “link” instead of “split” but in my mac, scrivener doesn’t even show up as an option in the app shortcuts menu in the system. How do I get it “in” there, please?

And also, is command K something that I would change at that level or reassign inside scrivener? Thank you.

You have to add a new section to the list of apps with custom shortcuts for Scrivener yourself, I think. I don’t recall how (and don’t have my Mac with me right now), but there’s probably an understated “+” sign somewhere in that window for adding an app to end of the list.

As you create other shortcuts, you may run into an issue where some menu items have the same name, but are located in different parts of the menu, and are meant to affect different parts of Scrivener. For those menus, you can use the entire menu path in the keyboard shortcut.

For example: to invoke “Back Up To…” you can either enter that exactly as it appears in the menu File->Back Up, or you can write the whole thing (File->Back Up->Back Up To…) using the -> (minus sign plus a greater-than symbol) “arrow” in between each part of the path from the top-level menu to the end-point. This creates an unambiguous target for your keyboard shortcut, though it’s harder to type correctly.

When you click to add a shortcut (in Apple Sys Prefs > Kbd > Kbd Shortcuts > App Shortcuts), one of the things you will specify in the resulting dialog box is the app in which the shortcut is to operate. So, it is not a separate step.