Affinity Publisher! It’s alive! ALIVE!

In
InklingBooks
Platform: Mac

Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:21 pm Post

I just got an email from Affinity. Publisher is out of beta and will be released on Wednesday, June 19, 2019. Retail will be $49.99. Beta testers can pick it up that day only for $34.99 with five free bonus fonts from RetroSupply. You can preorder. If you're outside Europe, there's no VAT.

I went ahead and ordered. Given how badly Adobe has been treating its users recently, I'm playing it safe by having an InDesign replacement in the ready. I've already shifted to Affinity Photo for my covers. If you want to check the new app out, here is the U.S. link:

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/publisher/

I didn't see it listed at their store, so pre-ordering may currently be for beta testers only.

To
TooOldForThis
Platform: Windows

Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:13 pm Post

Hate to put a wet blanket on their release announcement. I've been using the APub Beta from the beginning and have the latest Beta 371 on my system. There are still lots of bugs, and their Master Pages are sadly only dynamic templates. If you add a single page between two pages, the Master Pages are not honoured (as they are in PagePlus), but shift to the next page. This means any margins, headers, footers, and content will shift. Since I write novels, it becomes a huge problem as Master Pages must be reapplied to all subsequent pages and all content frames have to be manually shifted back to within margins. Fine for a layout of a few pages, but not for a 200-300 page novel. They call it a design decision, I call it a deal breaker, so I won't be taking advantage of the discount. Based on their last Beta release, they're closer, but they're rushing the final version. In the end, I think it will bite them.

St
StarDog2

Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:44 pm Post

Some user advise. If they release an optional, extra cost "workbook", buy it. I have the one for Affinity Photo, and it is an excellent tutorial that can really help acquaint you with all the tools it offers.

Tw
Twolane

Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:51 pm Post

All right, so I'm thinking Publisher is primarily for print, since ereaders don't carry over set fonts so well.

I have become quite adept at using the free paint dot net as my cover creator. Which of your products would I use to replace that?