PROJECT LOST

Be
Beemergirl
Platform: Mac

Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:48 pm Post

I used the trial version for 30 days and when I purchased the license and upgraded my project was gone. I've searched my entire Mac and iCloud drive for any files ending that end in .scriv and there is nothing.. Any ideas on what could've happened?

br
brookter

Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:53 pm Post

If you open Scrivener and go to File > Find All Projects in Spotlight does nothing appear in the search results?

kewms

Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:33 pm Post

Scrivener did not do this. Scrivener doesn't have the *ability* to do this.

Scrivener's automatic backups can be found by going to Scrivener -> Preferences -> Backups, and clicking the button to open the backup folder in Finder.

As for the underlying cause, I would suspect some sort of rogue cleanup software, "helpfully" removing files that it thinks are duplicates or unused. The Documents and Desktop feature of iCloud can also move things around in unpredictable ways, particularly if you enable then disable the feature. Another potential source of damage would be another user, if anyone else has access to either this system or one synchronized with a cloud account containing your files.

But it wasn't Scrivener.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Be
Beemergirl

Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:34 pm Post

brookter wrote:If you open Scrivener and go to File > Find All Projects in Spotlight does nothing appear in the search results?

ugh nothing.....oh no

thanks for your response

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:00 pm Post

Where was it saved to when you created it? If you just bypassed the dialogue where you choose the location, check your Documents folder, since that is the default.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Be
Beemergirl

Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:01 pm Post

kewms wrote:Scrivener did not do this. Scrivener doesn't have the *ability* to do this.

Scrivener's automatic backups can be found by going to Scrivener -> Preferences -> Backups, and clicking the button to open the backup folder in Finder.

As for the underlying cause, I would suspect some sort of rogue cleanup software, "helpfully" removing files that it thinks are duplicates or unused. The Documents and Desktop feature of iCloud can also move things around in unpredictable ways, particularly if you enable then disable the feature. Another potential source of damage would be another user, if anyone else has access to either this system or one synchronized with a cloud account containing your files.

But it wasn't Scrivener.

Katherine

Is the entire project stored in a .scriv file, ie MYBOOK.SCRIV? Is that what I should search for? I used CleanMyMac in the past, but I can't believe it would delete an active file without prompting....although that seems to be the case...something is really screwy. not giving up yet :)

br
brookter

Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:17 pm Post

On the Mac, the entire project is in the .scriv file, yes (well, it can include links to other documents, but you have to choose to do that, so you'd know...)

So, yes, the thing to search for is .scriv.

Clean My Mac wouldn't delete such files, AFAIK, unless you asked it to find and delete large and old files to save space (and your project was big enough perhaps?) Not saying that's what it is as even then you'd have to choose to do it.

The other thing (obvious, sorry) is have you looked in the Trash?

kewms

Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:51 pm Post

Search for .scriv files, yes, but it also wouldn't hurt to search for text that you expect to find in one of your projects, just in case the project structure has gotten disrupted in some way.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Be
Beemergirl

Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:53 pm Post

Thanks for all the help. I can't find it anywhere. And I have no clue what happened. Wow. I am so sad right now... :|

Nh
Nhaps

Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:38 pm Post

any previous backup in some cloud company like Backblaze? Time Machine? Carbon Copy Cloner? When was your last backup?

sc
scshrugged
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:53 pm Post

A no cost to you search tool provided by DEVONtechnologies would be worthwhile trying. I wouldn't get your hopes up but it has found stuff for some people that macOS tools couldn't.

EasyFind: http://www.devontechnologies.com/products/freeware.html
I'm a Scrivener user, not an L&L employee.

Be
Beemergirl

Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:04 pm Post

It was on my iCloud drive....and when I created a test file in Scrivener that where it defaulted to.....

auxbuss

Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:35 pm Post

Beemergirl wrote:It was on my iCloud drive....and when I created a test file in Scrivener that where it defaulted to.....

You can recover iCloud files. Login to iCloud. Go to Settings, then Advanced/Restore Files.

Be
Beemergirl

Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:51 pm Post

scshrugged wrote:A no cost to you search tool provided by DEVONtechnologies would be worthwhile trying. I wouldn't get your hopes up but it has found stuff for some people that macOS tools couldn't.

EasyFind: http://www.devontechnologies.com/products/freeware.html

Miracle of miracles scshrugged...EasyFind helped me to find it! Even though it found it in the /Scrivener/Backups directory when I looked there from within Scrivener the folder was empty. inexplicable...thanks everybody...i need a drink...it's 5 o'clock somewhere
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 3.28.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 3.28.22 PM.png (35.11 KiB) Viewed 1798 times

Nh
Nhaps

Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:47 pm Post

EasyFind is indeed a gem. So next time head to Finder first. Scrivener does not fail producing backups