iCloud Sync

ma
marcoiac
Platform: Mac

Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:44 am Post

kewms wrote:I'd also like to point out that iCloud is not magic

Katherine

Even less magic on Catalina :D And I am not talking .scriv syncing (which I do on Dropbox, obviously), I am talking much simpler syncs. It seems we are back to the early days of iCloud...

BTW, I should add that Dropbox too has syncing issues with Catalina, but they can be easily fixed with pausing and restarting syncing. With iCloud, I have not found yet a fix

As
Astaff
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:18 am Post

I take it you’ve submitted the feedback to Apple/Dropbox on those ‘bugs’.

Any beta will have issues, which is the whole purpose of the program.

ma
marcoiac

Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:22 pm Post

Astaff wrote:I take it you’ve submitted the feedback to Apple/Dropbox on those ‘bugs’.

Any beta will have issues, which is the whole purpose of the program.

Yeah of course. I have been on both MacOS and iOS public beta programs since their beginnings and always submit feedback. This one is particularly annoying though, because I rely on iCloud syncing for Notes, Noteplan, and other little apps. I also rely on it for Keynote and other iWork apps, but at the moment I don't need to. Funny thing is, under Catalina Google Drive syncing is flawless :D

Po
Postdoctoral
Platform: iOS

Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:36 am Post

kewms wrote:If you are so concerned about synchronization conflicts that you are "afraid" to switch devices, you should probably take a closer look at your synchronization habits. (And yes, we're happy to help you do that.) I've been working back and forth between iOS and Mac OS since iOS Scrivener was in beta, and I've never lost a syllable. Mine seems to be a much more typical experience than those who report frequent conflicts.

I'd also like to point out that iCloud is not magic, no matter what Apple's marketing people claim. All of the fundamental causes of synchronization conflicts will continue to exist regardless of the platform used: If you disconnect your device from the internet with unsynchronized changes, there is no power on Earth that will cause those changes to appear on your other devices.

Katherine

Katherine, I respect a lot the work that you and LL do — but I don’t think you’re entirely right on this point. I too stopped using Scrivener midway through my dissertation and switched to Ulysses because the sync conflict implementation is simply too cumbersome. I never lost a syllable, and most of the sync “conflicts” seemed to have been created out of an excess of caution on the app’s part, as it were. But it did get to the point where the first 20-30 minutes of any writing session were spent to undo the damage of having dared to open the app on my iMac between sessions of work on my iPad. When I switched to Ulysses I had none of that. In fact I would often edit my dissertation on my iPad and watch the new text appear on the iMac screen a few moments later.
You are entirely right that iCloud is not magic, of course, but my experience with Dropbox is just one of annoyance. It feels like a poorly integrated early 2000s hack. A while ago I decided to stop using it and gradually eliminated all apps that depended on it from my life. Now as I take on my next big project, I want to return to Scrivener — because it is, indeed, superior to Ulysses in certain respects, most notably having to use Markdown is a gigantic pain. (Incidentally, yes, I do pay Ulysses’ subscription proudly, and even wear their t-shirt sometimes when I teach — I am happy to share my very small wages with the developers that enable my work, and I would encourage Scrivener to switch to a subscription model too). Where were we — I want to return to Scrivener but there is no way that I will return to Dropbox. Thankfully, at present I have stopped using a Mac altogether and have been going iPad-only, so I have no need for syncing — just backups. But I am worried about what will happen in the future: Apple will release a laptop I cannot resist, I will want syncing again, iCloud will still not support Scrivener and viceversa, Dropbox will still suck, and then...? I’ll move to Ulysses again?
I know there is no solution, and I know you guys do what’s best for the app. I just wanted my situation recorded, should the question ever be reassessed. Thanks for your work!

kewms

Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:13 am Post

For the long term, Apple appears to be working on making the iOS Files app more capable, which at some point may allow synchronizing on iDevices to work similarly to synchronizing on Macs: a separate operating system service that isn't really tied to any particular application. That day has not yet arrived, but iOS 13 appears to be a step in that direction.

For the short term, the best alternative to Dropbox continues to be file sharing via iTunes.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

se
se1961

Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:57 pm Post

Apologies if this question has been asked already in this very long thread. I am just starting to use iCloud for my general document syncing— because it turns out that Google Backup and Sync was slowing all my computer activity pretty dramatically, and I figured a built in sync solution would be simpler, less strain on the cpu, etc. I am now in the deep tangle of iCloud settings— could anything be more confusing??

My main question: I use Scrivener on two macs and iOS, so do syncing of all of my active scrivener projects through a Dropbox folder. Why would I want to turn Scrivener ON in the iCloud Drive settings? (In iOS, Settings>iCloud>Apps Using iCloud) I can sync all of my archived Scrivener projects via iCloud Drive without turning Scrivener ON in settings, so what exactly does turning it on do?

Bonus, and slightly off topic, if anybody with more experience could clarify: some apps seem to sync their data seamlessly in the background when you turn them “on” in iCloud. Those seem to be apps that store their documents internally, like Notability. Some apps (iThoughts) that store documents externally, will open iCloud documents even if you don’t turn them on. As above, I’m not really sure what turning them on does. Others (PDF Expert) will not even SEE the “Files/iCloud” folder to open or write to files unless you turn them on. Is there any standard operating procedure? Thank you!

PS Also: I did just read through the entire thread, because I couldn’t resist, and appreciate the loquacious (of course) and thoughtful investigation of a topic that vexes me. Here’s something I don’t get: I, too, was concerned about the three device limit, since I have four, including my phone. But then I discovered, to my joy, that I don’t need the Dropbox App on any iOS device in order to use it— just sign in to my Dropbox account and Scrivener chugs happily away. Since I’m using Dropbox only to sync my few active Scrivener projects, I don’t even WANT the app on my phone. Problem solved, unless your four devices are all computers. Right?

ma
marcoiac

Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:51 pm Post

se1961 wrote:Apologies if this question has been asked already in this very long thread. I am just starting to use iCloud for my general document syncing— because it turns out that Google Backup and Sync was slowing all my computer activity pretty dramatically, and I figured a built in sync solution would be simpler, less strain on the cpu, etc. I am now in the deep tangle of iCloud settings— could anything be more confusing??

My main question: I use Scrivener on two macs and iOS, so do syncing of all of my active scrivener projects through a Dropbox folder. Why would I want to turn Scrivener ON in the iCloud Drive settings? (In iOS, Settings>iCloud>Apps Using iCloud) I can sync all of my archived Scrivener projects via iCloud Drive without turning Scrivener ON in settings, so what exactly does turning it on do?

I don't have an answer to your question but I definitely turned it OFF. It seemed redundant and perhaps even creating troubles.