iCloud Sync

Ka
Kalus
Platform: Mac

Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:36 pm Post

Hi All,

I've read through the arguments for and against various subscription models, and I just wanted to add my personal experience:

I've stopped using Dropbox for anything but Scrivener. In every other case, iCloud or Google Drive works better for me. But because I use four different devices for writing (Desktop, Laptop, iPhone, iPad), and Dropbox's free plan has a limit of 3 registered devices, I've been forced to subscribe to dropbox to keep Scrivener up to date on each device.

So now I'm paying $120 a year just to use Scrivener as I was before. I'm not here to complain about that, but here's the thing: If anyone deserves that money, it's L&L, not Dropbox.

If L&L wanted to add a paid sync service, just know that I'd be ready and willing to sign-up.

Silverdragon
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:32 pm Post

The Dropbox stricture is for copies of the app. Strictly speaking, you don't need the Dropbox app on your iOS devices, just on the Mac/Windows boxes. Try removing the Dropbox app from one of your iOS devices and see if it works. If so, there's $120/year back in your pocket.
  • Fiction-writer curled up on her TP hoard.
  • Mac Scrivener 3.1.5, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.15.6 (Catalina)
  • IOS Scrivener 1.2.1; iPhone 8+, iPad 6; i(Pad)OS 13.6

Ka
Kalus
Platform: Mac

Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:22 pm Post

Thank you Silverdragon, will do that!