Grey screen, won't let me edit/write

su
suedinym
Platform: Linux

Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:01 pm Post

I was using Scrivener last night, and everything was just fine. When I started it up this morning, the screen was gray and it won't let me write anything, or see what I wrote last night. I can add new pages and folders, add to the meta data etc, and compile it to a pdf, and read the pdf-- I just can't write anything in the draft portion.

Last night the pages were white and the binder tree was black type against a white background. Now it's white against grey.

If I open the tutorial or any other file, it looks the same way. It seems like it could be something elementary that I'm missing, but I can't figure out what it is. I've been using Scrivener for Linux off and on for some years now and this never happened before. My system is xubuntu 64-bit Linux 16.04.

su
suedinym

Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:02 pm Post

I don't know what I did that caused it to do that, but I reset the options/preferences to default and it is letting me write now.

ev
evilmrb
Platform: Linux + Windows

Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:35 pm Post

This has happened to me several times too. I did something similar to fix it.
Rather than reset to defaults I saved my own preference settings to a file. Whenever the problem occurs, I load that file. It's a pain though.

rc
rcentros

Fri May 03, 2019 7:55 pm Post

I've run into this a couple times already (in less than a week). I guess this is something not unexpected when using a beta for an OS newer than the application was designed for. At first I reinstalled Scrivener but that didn't clear it (for any document?). And then I found the reset to Default button, which worked but than I had re-change to all my customizations. I didn't know about saving preferences, which I've done now. Do you have to save each project's preferences, or is once enough for everything? Thanks.
Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.1

garpu

Thu May 09, 2019 1:13 am Post

Yeah, known bug. I haven't had it happen recently on the beta version of Scrivener, but I did get it once.
Slackware 64-bit 14.2, XFCE

rc
rcentros

Fri May 17, 2019 7:14 pm Post

garpu wrote:Yeah, known bug. I haven't had it happen recently on the beta version of Scrivener, but I did get it once.

Since I backed up my preferences it's done it one time. I restored to my preferences instead of default that one time and it hasn't happened since — so maybe that's the key. Something in the default settings might trigger the grey screen?
Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.1