Text statistics not working in Scrivenings mode

vk
vkwriter
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:31 pm
Platform: Mac

Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:59 pm Post

If I'm reading the Windows manual correctly, the text statistics feature should work in Scrivenings mode. But it's not working for me. The word count in the footer is correct, but all the counts in the text statistics window are 0 except for Characters (no spaces), which shows 1. No words show up under Frequency.

The text statistics option works fine if I'm in single document view.

I'm running the latest version of Windows 10 Home, if that matters.
Vanessa Kier
Power Up Your Writing Process with Scrivener - now open for enrollment!
http://www.vanessakier.com/scrivener-course

User avatar
AbigailAuthor
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:39 pm
Platform: Windows

Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:41 pm Post

I'm also seeing this problem. :( I've reported it to the bug email address, too.

St
StephanieHH
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:00 pm
Platform: Windows

Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:06 pm Post

I'm also seeing this problem. There are no posts addressing this issue. Is there a fix for this? It's too cumbersome to use the word frequency tool scene by scene in a 80,000 word document. Appreciate your help. Many thanks

User avatar
AbigailAuthor
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:39 pm
Platform: Windows

Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:19 am Post

When I reported the bug, I got this reply:
There is a way around it, which is to run a search that will bring up all the documents in your manuscript. For example, if all the documents have the label ‘Scene’, then run a search on that label and all your documents will appear in the Search Results tab in your binder. Now select all the documents and the text statistics will work on them all.

I searched for "I" (my novel is in first person so it should be in every scene ;) ) and it looks like the search results come up in the same order they are in the binder, so I just shift-clicked to select all the scenes that are actually under "Manuscript". Then I put the cursor in the editor and indeed, Text Statistics worked! The word count seems a little off so I might be off on my guess about the order of scenes, but it should get you close. Here's hoping Scrivener 3 for Windows fixes this and comes out soon! :D