Trial vs Paid Version

li
lizlangan
Platform: Windows

Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:22 am Post

I'm not sure if this is where this topic should go but I didn't know where else to post it.

I downloaded a free trial of Scrivener recently, after watching many videos, both ones by Literature and Latte and by Scrivener users reviewing the software (for Windows). However, not all of the features talked about are available on the version I have. I don't even have the option to change the language from US English to British English, which is annoying, because everyone else seems to have the opposite problem.

Does the trial version have fewer features than the paid version? If not, is there another way to activate the features that I don't seem to have?

Sp
SpringfieldMH
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:44 pm Post

Scrivener for Mac OS X has more features than Scrivener for Windows (though frankly I don't know what they are and so far don't miss them). So perhaps some of the videos and such were about the Mac version, while others were about the Windows version, leading to the confusion. Literature and Latte is working on bringing the Windows version up to parity with the Mac version, but it takes time. They do deliver on their promises, but it takes time. Some of this happens incrementally (sync with external folders (of possible interest to Android platform users for whom Scrivener is not yet available and others?) and compatibility with Scrivener for iOS via DropBox sync added recently). Note that as new feature development happens first on the Mac, the Mac version will likely always lead at least a little.

As far as trial versus purchased version, for a given platform, trial and purchased are one and the same, differing only in that while in trial status, use is limited to thirty or so days (don't have to be consecutive). Moving from trial to purchase basically involves purchasing, receiving a purchase code, which one then enters into the trial version via the Help dropdown, which removes the time limit. No difference in features.

As far as US vs British English, check Tools > Options > General > Language (dropdown list). I believe it defaults to "System Language" (presumablly the language Windows has been told to use). Some other choices are available.

Hope that helps.
I'm a Scrivener enthusiast and (used to be) experienced in PC/network support... but I am not a Scrivener expert. And I'm still editing on my first book. So take any opinion or advice I offer with a large grain of salt.

dh
dherbert52
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:48 am Post

I have a paid version as of 09/2016, Windows. I only get the choice of British English.

Sanguinius
Platform: Windows

Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:31 pm Post

dherbert52 wrote:I have a paid version as of 09/2016, Windows. I only get the choice of British English.

What do you mean by this, exactly? Where are you seeing only a British English option?

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:13 am Post

Just to make sure we’re all on the same page: there is the ability to change the interface language—all of the menus, dialogue boxes, error messages, default text strings (like “new folder”), etc.—in the General options panel. However, there is no UK English option for that on either platform. Then there is the spell check dictionary, which is set in the Corrections panel. That by default only contains a few dictionaries, but click the Download button beside it to acquire whatever you need. If UK English is not in the default list, it definitely should be downloadable.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles